Eddy Martinez in a recent exhibit in Germany.

Santo Domingo .- Dominican Republic Exports and Investment Center (CEI-RD) director Eddy Martinez yesterday said Call Centers generate 25,000 direct jobs, from the 57 companies operating in the country.

He said in the next two years those centers are expected to create 30,000 additional jobs, which when added to the indirect ones are more than 150,000 in

The official said almost all of the data and information technology centers have been installed country in the past three years.

Martinez said the average starting salaries is between RD$18,000 to RD$22,000 in the Call Centers, whose strong growth in the country increasingly require more staff.

However, he noted that those companies’ failure to secure a supply of skilled manpower causes higher costs which affects competitiveness.

COMMENTS
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 13 May 2008 10:07 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
where are the lefties whining and complaining about the meaningless jobs the foreign exploiters bring....if only we had our own hugo or fidel life would be so much better off......Pa Lante say no to socialism
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 13 May 2008 10:09 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
Cassie this is one of your hero Lionels pet projects
Written by: buenoha, 13 May 2008 11:05 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo
these are perfect jobs for students to combine with their studies. these call centers should be in the cities so that students can reach it. there you'll have a very much skilled workforce.
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 13 May 2008 11:10 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
students in this society making 18 to 22 thousand pesos is sometime in the future...you are obviously in Holland or the Dutch Antilles....thank you for commenting but it may as well be from the twilight zone
Written by: UnderCover, 13 May 2008 1:08 PM
Call Center operator is not what you call a career changing job, unless you are the one managing the 150,000 workers. The manager and the people above him, are the ones who are bring home the real income.

Kids stay in school get your "PROFESSIONAL" degree, become licensed in your profession, and work for yourself, and not for someone else.

You will be a lot more happier in the long run, believe me.
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 13 May 2008 1:44 PM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
undercover I am the first to agree with you... but if we had 150 thousand more jobs like this in just the call center business this economy would be really humming you are judging from another market.....people who work in call centers have by Dominican standards good jobs today.... Many of these people will go on to bigger things But these are good jobs ......we all cant be like you and start at the top
Written by: CarlosFranco, 13 May 2008 3:37 PM
From: United States, Brooklyn

18,000 peso is too low for a skilled worker
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 13 May 2008 4:12 PM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
the qualifications are must be able to breathe and speak english ....whats skilled about that
Written by: malva70997, 13 May 2008 4:17 PM
CarlosFranco, read my post, most times they have no skills, besides, most professionals with no experience, recently graduated and with no contacts in the business world would most likely start making 8,000 a month, if they're lucky enough to get a job. I have hired doctors, lawyers, accountants, and other professionals who cannot find a better paying job in their field and have to take a job in a call center to make ends meet until they find something, but around 90% of call center workers (agent level) have no marketable skills or job experience besides being bilingual.
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 13 May 2008 7:15 PM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
CarlosFranco only comes here in the summer time to visit his abuelita ...pay no attention to him....hey Malva does this call center thing have legs here or what?
Written by: Trujillo, 13 May 2008 9:03 PM
Let them come...Jobs, that's how you distribute wealth and fight poverty, not with blah blah blah and handouts.
Written by: malva70997, 13 May 2008 10:14 PM
Sorry Goulet but I didn't understand your question, what do you mean by "have legs"?
Written by: Jander, 13 May 2008 11:13 PM
Finally a topic I can comment on with first hand experince!

My entire 14 year existance in Santo Domingo has been involved with technical support or as consultant for North American and some European companies. Between myself and several colleagues we have been apart of employing thousands of Dominicans over the years.

Unfortunately most of the companies outgrew the DR and moved to India or Costa Rica.
I oblected and tried to keep them here but it was difficult and expensive , even at the lower wage.
You have to bus everyone in 24/7/365. Pregnancies were rampant and by the time you were done paying out the doble sueldo and insurance you hardly realized any savings.
And we ran out of people who spoke and wrote English.

With that said we still loved our Domincan workers and many of them moved on with the companies to India , London and Gibralter and are now managers and supervisors.

I am happy to see that the "near shore" call centers are doing well.
continued >

Written by: Jander, 13 May 2008 11:13 PM
Finally a topic I can comment on with first hand experince!

And we ran out of people who spoke and wrote English.

I am happy to see that the "near shore" call centers are doing well.
continued >

Written by: Jander, 13 May 2008 11:15 PM
shoot hit post twice sorry.

This was and is Leonel's pet and he should get the credit for making it work and grow.

Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 14 May 2008 4:46 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
Malva I suppose jander has answered my question but what I meant by legs was ...Does this business have a good future here in the DR ?....I would love to here what you have to say also......and gratias Jander
Written by: malva70997, 14 May 2008 10:14 AM
goulet, right now the call center business is providing around 25,000 jobs, with the support we are getting from the government, the business is expected to grow up to 100,000 jobs. We should soon be getting business from Europe also, especially Spain.
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 14 May 2008 10:20 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
thats fantastic and great economic news I am impressed
Written by: malva70997, 14 May 2008 10:29 AM
Mind you, my comment has no political intention, I am just stating the fact that the government is giving support to the call center business, I'm not endorsing the PLD per se... "al César lo que es del César"
Written by: chillaxin201 This user is banned, 14 May 2008 5:11 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Boycott Dominican Tourism
this is the new "thing" in DR.... at least the deported guys have something to do
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 14 May 2008 7:44 PM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
Just pulling your leg man..no I was not pulling your leg so you better not get busted or you will be coming back with the cuffs on
Written by: sherriyivan, 15 May 2008 12:51 PM
I have been living in DR now for quite sometime and i am in management in a call center. I can tell everyone from experience most of the agents are youths trying to make money to pay for college with only a few "mature" adults seeing this as a career. Call centers are get for experience and the pay for this country is good considering that I know people here with degrees that make less.

And for the comment about the deported guys. if the call center is of high standard those people are weeded out. Thankfully!
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 15 May 2008 1:04 PM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
So sorry Chill its picking mangos for you....those hancuffs are difficult to get used are they not?
Written by: tedsportbike, 14 Aug 2008 2:48 PM
Can anyone help?

I am interested in relocating to the Dominican Republic. I can also teach English!

About me.

Results oriented manager of people, with an extensive background in telecommunications project management, network development, systems integration, marketing, customer service, provisioning, technical insight and business development regarding nightclub and entertainment venues. I have supported large companies including healthcare organizations, telecommunications companies and entertainment facilities.

I am seeking employment with a minimum annual salary of USD $20,000 - $25,000 per year
I am a highly technical person who is very detailed.
I am also currently part owner of a nightclub here in my city.