Bonao, Dominican Republic. - The miner Falconbridge Dominicana (Falcondo) on Tuesday announced the start of production as of March 1 at 50% of capacity, estimated at 12,400 tons of nickel this year.
Falcondo said its processing plants began production with the motto “Zero Damage” to attain strict levels of security, with 360 workers hired so far, and will continue contracting to reach a total of 866 employees.
Falcondo’s entrance invigorates the economy of Monseñor Noel province after it was seriously affected by its closing in 2008 and where the Dominican State had to assist the more than 800 workers laid off in that occasion when the company shuttered operations.
“Our community and environmental commitments remain in effect. We increased our support to the communities when the operation entered a phase of caution and maintenance in 2008, to adequately mitigate the effects the closing would’ve had in these (since the closing, we financed the Falcondo Foundation with more than 1.6 million American dollars per year to support the creation of local capacities),” the company said in a statement.