Alberto Jiménez. Photo elnuevodiario.com.do

NEW YORK.- The community group Acción Social Dominicana (ASD) on Tuesday called the Customs Agency’s measures regarding facilities for Dominicans abroad who take vehicles back to the country, “abusive.”

ASD president Alberto Jiménez said Customs unfairly enforces Law 147-00 on vehicle imports and mixes them with those in Law 168, which means that a vehicle has a partial tax exemption, but when the car is part of a move back to the country, it cannot exceed 5 years of manufacture.

“This measure is a low blow to the aspirations of Dominicans abroad, whom after many years residing overseas, wants to live the dream of all their lives ,which is to return to their country.”

He asks that president Leonel Fernandez intervene and help the diaspora, ordering Customs to modify the measure the ASD calls harmful to hundreds of thousands of Dominicans abroad.

He said it’s regretful that the chief executive has close officials without any human sensitivity and who are unaware of how Dominicans abroad live. “Sacrifices, sweat and tears is the daily bread in our community.”

“We hopefully await the measures to be rectified and countermanded, because at the end of the day, the only thing we wish is to return,” the ASD said.

COMMENTS
Written by: JimHarrington This user is banned, 6 Apr 2011 10:02 AM
Fat chance that will happen.
Written by: generoso, 6 Apr 2011 10:13 AM
From: Dominican Republic, +Sorry, No Habla Stupid+

Sit down in a comfortable chair while you wait for the rapacious government auto import duty collectors, to give tax payers any kind of breaks.
Law 168 is out of sync and offer no real benefits to the importers of used cars, even though you get a apparent "break" in import duties, in all reality you don't because the car is placed at a higher value than if it where to be imported by a used car dealer.
The scam goes further as because CAFTA, or the trade agreement with the US, the DR is supposed not to charge any duty for cars made in the USA, but immediately after signing that trade agreement, customs instituted internally a unique tax for the first "placa" or license tag, and screwed the consumers royally, one more time, charging them taxes as high as 20% ad valorem.
Sadly the new car importers pay less taxes than you or I because of bending the rules by customs, to favor ADOFAVE the new car importers, no one else, because of their "significant" political donations.
Written by: Rainman, 6 Apr 2011 11:08 AM
Sacrifice the Cash Cow ? nahhhh I don't think so, istead of opening up lets keep the streets really safe with all those vehicles falling apart...
Written by: danny00, 6 Apr 2011 11:38 AM
From: United States, Acropolis 114 santo DOMINGO
the car dealers in the state's are so caring about the hard working dominican's who want to bring car's back for their dream in the dr. really! that's so nice of them., lift the ban, the tax, what ever and have the street's full of junk car's. santo domingo and the street's of santiago need this now.
in the states when a car is in a really bad accident many times the insurance co. will total the car. it can not be sold in the state's. who buys them? dominican car dealers who then ship them back to the dr. fix them up so at least they look good. many of these cars are death trap's. when a car has frame damage its all most impossible to repair this..
yeah! now some will respond and say we have the best menchnic's in the world in the dr. the ones in the states are stupid gringo's really!!!!!!!!!.
Written by: telemeco, 6 Apr 2011 11:42 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Monte Plata
I am actually in that dilemma right now, i wan to ship a vehicle back home, but have to be 2005 and above..or they will tax the living daylight out of you...and financing a vehicle in DR with those financiera is like selling you own liver
Written by: lcabrera, 6 Apr 2011 11:46 AM
Who would be surprised about this?
Written by: gmiller261, 6 Apr 2011 12:12 PM

Did this moron just open his eyes?

The whole car import taxes are abusive.

Written by: danny00, 6 Apr 2011 12:25 PM
From: United States, Acropolis 114 santo DOMINGO
the whole car import taxes are abusive. gmiller u are being very kind with your choice of word of abusive!!!
iam not. bunch of crook's i feel is a better choice
i for years tryed every angel, every and any way what i thought was a oop-hole. i could not find the way, so like all others i payed the hugh price.
but that was before now i just use taxi's when in santo domingo or else take metro-bus, and walking is good for the heart. lol
Written by: ElChico, 6 Apr 2011 12:36 PM
Seems like a nuisance law. Don't really understand the reasoning behind it besides making life more difficult for GOOD people that are of a benefit to DR.
Written by: riosm, 6 Apr 2011 2:22 PM
Can anybody tell me the approx. total cost / tax and information on a car brought into the DR minus the shipping fee.

The last time I checked I got the complete run-a-around, like.....the car could not be older then 10 years, one must be the legal owner for at least 2 years before importing, if the car is worth over $20 g's the you'll pay 60% etc..etc..
Written by: PatDiamond, 6 Apr 2011 2:25 PM
From: Botswana, La reconnaissance est une lachete'
In Haiti the average new car price from a Dealer is 10k above the sticker in the US Import duty included . Circa 00-02 I had a ford expedition Eddie Bauer which I had bring into the country, Having no Ford dealership in Haiti I used to bring my SUV to the ford dealership in SD for major services. I was shocked when I saw the base model of my vehicle in the showroom with a listed price of 80k USD almost double the US retail price. Can Somebody please explain?
Written by: Helen, 6 Apr 2011 3:04 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Nagua
Come on guys - this article = many Dominicans can't come back home because of problems importing their US car?? If you really, really want to come back home, leave the bl**dy car in the US! Have the US Dominicans become so materialistic that they think more about a piece of metal atop 4 wheels than the following statements:
Their desire to 'live their dream of all their lives, which is to return to their country - and they can't do this because their piece of metal means more to them....
"because at the end of the day, the only thing we wish is to return,” the ASD said." - so dump the car and come back home.....
“Sacrifices, sweat and tears is the daily bread in our community.” - oh, no sacrifices, sweat & tears back home then??
Dump the car, come back home & bring some dosh with you!
Written by: El_Platano, 6 Apr 2011 3:19 PM
From: United States, Yonkers, NY
THis law was amde to protect the car dealers and their profits.
Written by: Helen, 6 Apr 2011 4:06 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Nagua
I think 'generoso' summed it all up on the part of the economy. On the part of so many Dominicans wanting to return to their country, I maintain my stance - eff the damn car and just come home....
Written by: riosm, 6 Apr 2011 4:30 PM
Helen,
Not looking for an excuse.....

Let's face it many Dominicans including myself have become used to having the freedom and independence to go where you want to go at the time you want.

Public transportation / taxi's suck.

I rather save the shipping cost, hassles and taxes and purchase a car in the DR.

I believe much of the outcry is the hassles and cost to import a private vehicle.

LOL Grass, cash or ass nobody rides for free.

NOW HERE'S SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.....
I was looking into buying an apartment on the north coast, the foreign real estate agents selling for the foreign owned properties owners would raise those properties to at least 10% - 20% over, until they find out I'm Dominican born with Family still living in the DR who know the current real estate property values, most would then brush you off....the heck with the sales commission percentages.....it's about the under the table kick backs.

In Mexico they call it......"LA MORDIDA".
Written by: angelo53, 6 Apr 2011 5:24 PM
From: United States Virgin Islands
I have a 2003 tundra 6 cyl for sale in bavaro clean low miles new tires came from miami call my wife 954-636-0131 Reina. does anybody know what it would go for?

Written by: Helen, 6 Apr 2011 6:11 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Nagua
@riosm - where are you looking to buy an apartment? Most of my contacts centre around the Las Terrenas area. Prices are hitting pretty low at the moment - I had to drop the price of my house by 35% and they still screwed me, I ended up having to finance their purchase - that's what desperation does I suppose. Anyhow, let me know re the apt - I'll see what I can do for you....
Written by: abc200, 6 Apr 2011 6:30 PM
From: United Kingdom, Dominican Republic
Better not to import any cars ; then let the government auction the right to own the car as in Singapore.
DR has too many cars. Many need to be trashed and replaced by bus/train services. Especially when the metro comes on stream.

House prices are rising now rapidly.

S.
Written by: BernardJeanPierre, 6 Apr 2011 10:13 PM
From: United States, Earth
Customs unfortunately is not a service nor a procedure, it has been turned into a business and nothing more. Its unfortunate for those who want to get good IN the Dominican Republic as well as those who want to send good TO the Dominican Republic. Its the VERY reason why the small bottle of Hugo Boss Cologne I can get for $25-35 at the Mall will cost around $75 - $100 dollars at Blue Mall in Santo Domingo. Its a rip off, but its NOT the retailers that are doing the ripping off its the Government and its goons down at Customs. Retailers are economically obligated to raise the prices in order to make ANY profit because just getting the good IN the Country is such a hassle and robbery! If you have an item that should cost $30, but you are taxed $15 just to GET it, by the time you add in other things, you have to now sell that same item for like $60 to make a profit and keep the business going. The Government should be ashamed. They are doing nothing but encouraging digression.
Written by: Vivacuba, 7 Apr 2011 6:06 AM
More IMF austerity
Written by: CaptMarcosSamana, 7 Apr 2011 9:06 AM
I am importing a truck (law = not more 15 years old), and probably will avoid law 168. I don't believe I will get ANY benefit from this. The truck is sitting in Florida waiting to come over. Trouble is: I don't know how much $$ I need! The shipping is only $1,500, but I have no idea how much it will cost at the other end which means I have to have mucho dinero available. This is delaying severely my ability to EMPLOY MY Dominican WORKERS!

Whose losing here ........
Written by: abc200, 7 Apr 2011 9:21 AM
From: United Kingdom, Dominican Republic
Get an agent to do the whole deal. Get 2 or 3 quotes. They are used to dealing with customs and the chance of any surprise is much less. In requesting the quote lay down the whole deal - collection in Florida, insurance, shipping. negotiation with customs so you pay to have the vehicle released. Also any spares you might need in first year.

S.

Written by: danny00, 7 Apr 2011 1:29 PM
From: United States, Acropolis 114 santo DOMINGO
employ my dominican workers!

whose losing here ........

no one give's a s----- about people working.
u dont know this by this time?
Written by: abc200, 7 Apr 2011 1:33 PM
From: United Kingdom, Dominican Republic
if they work for this character they don't work for someone else and someone else's truck lies idle.
So what! Why import another truck - there are enough already!
Hope they give him a really big bill to import his gaz guzzler!

S.