Santo Domingo.- The miner Falconbridge Dominicana produced 29.7 million pounds of ferronickel last year, 8.5% higher than the company’s projection.
It said 64% of the production jump stems from an increased in production of “calcined,” resulting from good operating performance in its processing plants, while the remaining 36% additional production was due to a 3.5% jump in mining plan improvements.
Quoted by diariolibre.com, Falconbridge Dominicana’s annual report says net income was US$11.3 million in 2011, with the previous year's net loss at US$40.3 million.
The Canada based miner said it paid US$10.3 million in taxes in 2011, with no payment in 2010, when it wasn’t operating.
The company reported no dividends for shareholders in 2011 and 2010, adding that at 50% of production capacity the cash is being used to support operations and pay loans.
The miner exported 30,231 tons of ferronickel in 2007, falling to 19,846 in 2008, reached 23,600 in 2009, zero in 2010, and 12,880 tons last year.