L. Carrasco. File.

Santo Domingo.- As if he knows something others don’t,  Santo Domingo Metro Office (OPRET) Deputy director Leonel Carrasco on Thursday said the agency is "ready to work" in the event the Government allocates funds to continue the mass transit system’s second line.

He said he hopes construction of the subway line will resume, for which heavy equipment and machinery are being taken to a site to prepare for the work.

Carrasco noted however that the planned line will be only to the intersection of San Vicente de Paul and Venezuela avenues in Santo Domingo East.

Backhoes and other excavation machinery together with crews have again been busy at the site since last week, after OPRET had "packed up its knapsack” last November.

"The OPRET has transferred equipment and cleaned up the area in the event the Government assigns the funds to continue the second Metro line, the OPRET welcomes it and is willing to restart the work," the official said.

COMMENTS
Written by: danny00, 17 Jan 2014 10:15 AM
From: United States, Old Westbury Long Island
Need the 911 first....do they think we are made out of money.
Written by: Radar, 17 Jan 2014 10:51 AM

Great!..Let's stretch it over to Mega Centro. It will save me from breathing tons of fumes from chatarra conchos and dilapidated buses. ..and a cheaper ride, too!
Written by: josean, 17 Jan 2014 11:29 AM
From: United States, Fighting the Dictatorship of the Narco PLD Mafia; Guillermo Moreno President 2016

"in the event"

"he hopes"

They Don't even have money to issue METRO Cards!

Written by: Ricardolito, 17 Jan 2014 11:57 AM
From: Dominican Republic, calle A.Portes
yes Radar, that makes great sense but as you know from Venezuela to mega centro is such a crowded area that there may be some problems although they are underground. I would like to see it go down st Vincente de Paulo to the malecon to link up with all the gua guas thatcarry passengers from the new area that extends almost to the airport . It is an investment in the future of the capital that is growing faster than than the rest of the country ..maybe a donation from Englad or France could be encouraged
Written by: Radar, 17 Jan 2014 1:32 PM

Double post.
Written by: Radar, 17 Jan 2014 1:33 PM

Ricardolito. glad to make your acquaintance.
This area around Mega Centro is chaotic, to put it mildly. It is jammed with old passenger buses spewing hazardous fumes. Since I don't have a car, I have to stand and wait to get a ride to the nearest metro station, which is la 17. In the meantime, I'm sucking in CO2 which will cause me cancer, I know.
Written by: josean, 17 Jan 2014 1:56 PM

Buy a Bicycle!

Written by: Radar, 17 Jan 2014 2:07 PM

""Buy a Bicycle""

That will get me killed even quicker! No way I'd be riding around in such horrific traffic.!!!

Did you know that the DR has the dubious distinction of having the most traffic fatality, as a % of the population, in the world???
Written by: josean, 17 Jan 2014 2:12 PM

Then Buy a Gas Mask!

Written by: Radar, 17 Jan 2014 2:57 PM

I'm talking dangerous traffic, not fumes. I wouldn't want to become "road kill".

What is it with you?
Written by: josean, 17 Jan 2014 5:59 PM

You said:

"I'm sucking in CO2 which will cause me cancer, I know."

So I said:

Then Buy a Gas Mask!

Written by: zooma, 17 Jan 2014 6:16 PM
From: United States, and Dominican Republic

My real concern with all of these super projects, autopistas, subways/undergrounds, school construction, and ect. Where the hell is all the funding coming from ? Someday these funds/debts will have to be repaid. What happens then ?

First solution, fire all the botellas.

Written by: Radar, 17 Jan 2014 7:12 PM

Zooma, I don't understand where the funds are coming from, either, but it's good that they are being put to good use. Subways, school constructions, etc., are always good investments. We'd be worse off if we did not have theses projects going, even if it means going into debt.!
Written by: Ricardolito, 17 Jan 2014 9:17 PM
From: Dominican Republic, calle A.Portes
Radar ..I am right with you and just ignore the irritants ...
Written by: bernies, 18 Jan 2014 7:55 AM
From: United States, key west fl
The sale of tricom and orange generated the cash needed to finish this subway lines. That part of the city needs it more than the other part of the city.

It is so much nicer to go on the road to Las Terrenas, punta cana and other part of the country, thank you to the PLD we have all of these road.
Written by: josean, 18 Jan 2014 8:09 AM

We also have:

one of the worst the education system the world,

one of the worst the most expensive most unreliable electrical systems,

one of the most corrupt political system,

one of the worst garbage disposal systems,

one of the worst health care delivery system,

one of the worst water and sewer systems,

a structural unemployment conservatively estimated at 15 percent,

we have become the Carribean warehouse for drugs to all parts of the world,

Just to name a few things for which the PLD should also be given credit for bernies!

Written by: bernies, 18 Jan 2014 8:32 AM
From: United States, key west fl
Hey man health insurance in this country is pretty cheap. I have private insurance from universal and I paid 8500.00rd every three months for me and my son and gives me access to the hospital in this country with private room if one of us gets sick. All those people that are drinking whisky and beers in the colmados can afford to pay for it as well if they just don't expend most of their income on booze. Corrupts politicians are everywhere so I honestly don't give a rat ass about that because it is there to stay. The public school teachers gets pay way above than more of private school teachers and they don't follow the same rules and can also take as many day off as they please without any repercussions. Well I live in Juan Dolió and lucky for us thay live and here we do not have all of the above problems that you mentioned. Did you know that you can get private insurance for under 800.00rd per month but most of the people in this planet just ones free stuffs.
Written by: bernies, 18 Jan 2014 8:38 AM
From: United States, key west fl
Since I was a kid I always believed that people needed to take care of themselves and not wait for the government or somebody else to do it for them. I don't expect anything from the government and the day that I cannot take care of myself I rather be dead and is just my way of thinking about the way life should be. I do not want to become a parasite by depending on the government or other to solve my problems.
Written by: Radar, 18 Jan 2014 7:16 PM

Josean, You're absolute right about all those ills that makes DR difficult to live in, And it's good that someone is bringing them up to light.. The first step in resolving a problem is to recognize that there is one.
I'm glad you're seeing lots of shortcomings that frustrate and retards our progress. Some of us see only the good. We need a balance of mindsets that can evidence what we're truly about so that we can make our little piece of the world, that much better. We are a failed nation and must recognize it as such, whether we like it or not