Tourism and tourism real estate also push growth. Sosua

Washington.- The economies of Central America and the Dominican Republic boast good economic prospects in 2016, with an estimated regional growth of 4.1%, buoyed by strong activity in the US and lower energy bills resulting from low oil prices, says the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) report on the region’s macro economy released Friday, EFE reports.

Gina Montiel, IDB department manager for Central America, Mexico, Panama and the Dominican Republic and coordinator of the report, stressed "the increase in income from remittances," mostly from US, will also help to consolidate the improvement.

This contrasts with the gloomy outlook in Latin America that, as a whole, is expected to close 2016 with a contraction of 0.3% in its second consecutive year of recession.

Montiel said despite the differences among Central American countries, it’s expected that they’ll all rally and "reflect a greater dynamism to Latin America as a whole."

Growth in Panama and the Dominican Republic is estimated to exceed 6%, while El Salvador will be lower than 2.5%, in any case higher than it had achieved in the last five years.

Another key indicator, the report said, is the stability in prices, which closed at an average annual rate of 1.9% in 2015, as a result of prudent monetary policies and lower prices on raw materials.

Despite the positive short-term horizon, the report stresses persistent weaknesses that undermine the ability to improve competitiveness in Central America, such as high electricity costs.

The average for industrial energy is US 18.2 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh) consumed, while in the rest of Latin America is 15.6 cents and the US is 7.1 cents.

COMMENTS
Written by: anthonyC, 26 Feb 2016 7:11 PM

What US rebound?

Written by: PuntaCanaMike, 26 Feb 2016 7:39 PM
Can anyone explain why the peso is defying literally all other currencies against the US dollar? Is sugar that much a buoy to our economy?
Written by: blue105, 27 Feb 2016 12:31 AM
god your slow. if the economy is growing 2x as fast of the US why would the currency fall against the dollar. Also the DR peso has lost an average of 1.5% against the dollar per year for almost 10 yrs now. you already have a 15% deprecation in currency.
Written by: JHCL2016, 27 Feb 2016 2:24 AM
From: Dominican Republic, PA' LANTE: Danilo 2016 * Leonel con Visión 2020!

PCM,

E' pa' lante que vamos!!!

Can't wait for the grand opening of your Blue Mall Punta Cana and Hard Rock Cafe...

8-)
Written by: gomas, 27 Feb 2016 9:40 AM
From: Dominican Republic, The Greatest Banana Republic on Earth
no us rebound
Written by: Radar, 27 Feb 2016 6:59 PM
From: United States, Aspen Hill, Maryland.

Well, it looks like Medina is gonna win another term. If he can guide the next govt. the same as in the past four years, we should then be good to go and the economy keep growing.
I'm no economist, but I've read enough to know that good money follows good money. Meaning that when a nation's economy does well, foreign and local investment grows exponentially due to confidence in its steady pace and greater commerce. Two of the more obvious indicators of a healthy economy, is construction and low inflation. Lower, or little inflation, means consumer prices don't fluctuate wildly, (as its happening in Venezuela these days). This gives impetus to infrastructural building, which in turn, hastens production, which lowers prices and strengthens that nations currency, which buys more today than it did before. Which lessens poverty and there's more money to spend on other things... etc., etc.... A benign, golden cycle.!
Written by: PuntaCanaMike, 27 Feb 2016 9:33 PM
How is Blue Mall in the Capital doing JC? last Month it was hardly worth the visit. Hope PC can do better, but based on the sales per sq foot at other local malls, I am not expecting a miracle. Tourists are not going to pay 40% more than they do back home.
Written by: JHCL2016, 28 Feb 2016 12:40 PM
From: Dominican Republic, PA' LANTE: Danilo 2016 * Leonel con Visión 2020!

European and other tourists DO pay more back home; do not compare with US prices...

8-)
Written by: guillermone, 29 Feb 2016 8:50 PM

by: PuntaCanaMike, 27 Feb 2016
From: DR

-----------------------
The DR is on its way to fast becoming a regional shopping mecca. Perhaps we will not get shoppers from the US or Canada, but there are dozens of little island nations located within close proximity to the DR with a sizeable number of people with high purchasing power, who for any number of reasons find it convenient and cost effective to fly into the DR instead of Europe of the states. Believe me I really don't think a company like IKEA will invest millions in a country like the DR unless it intends to make a profit and the same is true for the many other high end stores within the multiple malls that have been recently built in and around metro Sto Dgo
Written by: Radar, 29 Feb 2016 9:43 PM
From: United States, Aspen Hill, Maryland.

There are way many upscale malls selling overpriced stuff. How they can make money and stay in business is beyond me. I don't know about the rest, but last time I was at Agora Mall with the cousin and his wife, the place was abuzz with activity. Granted, I can't tell if the very crowded mall was just a place to spend a Saturday afternoon, or people were actually buying, but I can tell you it was a madhouse.! We had to drive up to the topmost level in order to find a parking spot. I sort of enjoyed it and actually spend a few pesos getting Tacos and Bohemias. I had a good time sitting around people-watching, fantasizing about the seemingly well-to-do femmes passing by and thinking naughty thoughts.
We also visited Ikea next door, and the cousin's wife bought a half-decent dresser. Had it delivered, and the cost was comparable with what it costs here, in Maryland. (I know stuff like that).
I'm guessing the middle class folks will proliferate to keep them in business, maybe.
Written by: guillermone, 29 Feb 2016 11:13 PM

How they can make money and stay in business is beyond me. I don't know about the rest, but last time I was at Agora all with the cousin and his wife, the place was abuzz with activity.-Radar
------------------------
That has been my same question. In fact it really does not matter the time of day, I too observe a steady flow of activity, with customers intensely involved in their periodic shopping expedition. And I too ask the same, is not the DR suppose to be a "poor" country. I continue to be puzzled by this commercial phenomena. I made this comment once before, I can't remember who, but a fellow poster said that what we are seeing is produced by the purchasing power of a very small segment of the Dominican population. The vast majority of them in other regions of the country have never ever step foot in any of those malls. In fact the poster said that he took, I think it was a neighbor to one of those retail centers for a first time and in awe acted as if to be at Disney
Written by: Radar, 29 Feb 2016 11:46 PM
From: United States, Aspen Hill, Maryland.

Asi es, Mr. Guillermone. It seems La Capital is growing much faster than the rest of the country. Likely harboring the greater number of highly-educated, more cosmopolitan and better-off monetarily, folks.!
In fact, last time I returned, in 2012, after an absence of ten years, or so, I was amazed to see how much it had grown, and I mean that in the best possible way.!!
Even the old neighborhood where my house stood, (demolished now), seemed totally different.!. Tall apartment buildings where nothing was before.!
This can only mean people can afford bigger and better housing, proving that there's more money to go around. .Not evenly distributed, mind you, but more moneyed folks, nevertheless.!!

I truly believe that we're headed in the right direction. I may not agree with the present govt.'s larcenous ways, but it seems the economy is finding its way down to the lower echelons of society..

Written by: guillermone, 1 Mar 2016 2:05 AM

One aspect of La Capital I'm proud of, is our modern Metro. It's such a headrush.!!-Radar
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I never been on it. I will make it a point to take a ride and experience a Dominican subway.
Much credit to Leonel Fernandez, although I know he and his buddies skimmed off millions in this over budget mega project.
Written by: Radar, 1 Mar 2016 2:05 PM
From: United States, Aspen Hill, Maryland.

You must.!..Ladronel's deluded ambition was to transform SD into a mini Nueva Yol.!.. So, the first line was built (helter-skelter) for mainly that purpose. He wanted to be noted as "a great builder". The guy's ego surpasses even his level of venality. He spent over a billion when, at the time, there were more pressing needs... BUT, in many a people's estimation, a very bad decision, turned out to be a very good thing, indeed.!!
Today, I don't know how worse off we'd be, transport-wise, if not for this convenience.. According to govt. statistics, hundreds of thousands ride the Metro everyday.! All this in great comfort, (air conditioned); safety ( a cop in every wagon); Cheap: it costs only 20 Pesos.. That's just $.50 cents, US.! . Where on earth can one ride a modern subway like this one for so little.?
I'm looking forward to the completion of the 2nd. line extension to Mega Centro. When I'm back, I won't depend on dangerous conchos to get me to the nearest Metro station.!
Written by: Radar, 1 Mar 2016 2:26 PM
From: United States, Aspen Hill, Maryland.

Double.
Written by: Radar, 1 Mar 2016 2:26 PM
From: United States, Aspen Hill, Maryland.

One other very important aspect of this multi-billion dollar investment is the huge saving, safety, convenience, and prestige that our Metro brings to SD.!
Perhaps some don't appreciate it as much, deeming it "wasteful". But what they don't realize is the huge savings in Petroleum products NOT bought... According to figures, DR used to import a Billion dollars worth of oil, every year.!!. Imagine. That's a new Metro line NOT built every year, and money which leaves our shores, never to be seen again.!!
It also makes for a very safe way of traveling. No question that it has saved many lives in avoiding car crashes that inevitably happens every day.!
When riding Conchos or minibuses, the danger of getting assaulted and robbed is ever-present.
No so in the Metro. As mentioned, there is a cop in EVERY wagon.-- and people, get this, behave civil-like.!! They remain quiet and just sit there as if in a trance.!. I don't understand the shift in behavior. How could this be.?...
Written by: guillermone, 1 Mar 2016 4:50 PM

As mentioned, there is a cop in EVERY wagon.-- and people, get this, behave civil-like.!! They remain quiet and just sit there as if in a trance.!. I don't understand the shift in behavior. How could this be.?-Radar
-----------
Very good observation. I think the explanation is simple, a basic principle of sociology, states that "humans are a product of the environment." You treat people like animals and they will behave as such. The same applies to people in urban settings. You grow-up with violence and likely, you will be violent as well. There is still a lot of ignorant and uncivil behavior in the DR. You can meet the highly educated and refined people as well as the rude, crude and uncouth. Why the difference? Its the result of upbringing, education, neighborhood and social interaction. Nevertheless, it interesting to see how riding a safe, clean and modern subway can change peoples behavior. Image what we can achieve if we improve or so many aspects of Dominican society.
Written by: JHCL2016, 2 Mar 2016 3:21 AM
From: Dominican Republic, PA' LANTE: Danilo 2016 * Leonel con Visión 2020!

>> Ladronel's deluded ambition was to transform SD into a mini Nueva Yol.!.

Your thinking must be really shallow if you really "think" so....

*;*
Written by: JHCL2016, 2 Mar 2016 3:21 AM
From: Dominican Republic, PA' LANTE: Danilo 2016 * Leonel con Visión 2020!

>> Ladronel's deluded ambition was to transform SD into a mini Nueva Yol.!.

Your thinking must be really shallow if you really "think" so....

*;*
Written by: guillermone, 2 Mar 2016 9:29 PM

Everybody wants the best the best in life. Nobody enjoys crawling, living in mediocrity. No one likes feeling second-class and feeling forced to go that way.

Some of the most practical success-building wisdom is found in the quotation stating that faith can move mountains. Believe, really believe, you can move a mountain and you can. Not many people believe that they can do that. So, as a result, not many people do. On some occasion you've probably heard someone say something like, "It's nonsense to think you can make a mountain move away just by saying 'Mountain, move away.' It's simply impossible."

People who think this way have belief confused with wishful thinking. And true enough, you can't wish away a mountain. You can't wish yourself into an executive suite. Nor can you wish yourself into a 5-bedroom mansion or the high-income brackets. You can't wish yourself into a position of leadership.

But you can move a mountain with belief. You can win success by believing you