Military chief: all’s normal in border region
SANTO DOMINGO.- The minister of the Armed Forces announced that the additional soldiers and aircraft units in the border have already began to pull out, after being sent there earlier this week as a preventive measure to face contingencies from Tuesday’s elections in Haiti.
Admiral Sigfrido Pared Perez said that the decision was taken because of the normality observed in the border region after the elections.
"In fact already was to the units areas begun transferring to Santo Domingo because of the fact that there is no longer a need of additional personnel for the reasons that there is no longer any type of alteration in the border," Pared said.
He said he was happy for the manner in which the election process in the neighboring country transpired, which he described as without inconveniences.
The troops were transferred to the border region several days ago to use in case of an emergency, such as a missive exodus of Haitians.