Punta Cana Airport.

SANTO DOMINGO.- By the end of the 2009 summer, Dominican Republic will have a United States Customs and Immigration station at Punta Cana International Airport (east), which would make that region soar past Cancún in tourist reservations, said newspaper Nuevo Diario, quoting the agency Noticaribe.

Nuevo Diario said the country’s busiest air terminal isn’t the first to have such a station with U.S. personnel, as they already operate in Canadian and Bahamian airports.

COMMENTS
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 7:59 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
an expensive but worthwhile asset for the DR...... Pre clearance is a huge time saver and hassle minimizer ...you will see many using this airport for this reason only....This is great news
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 8:02 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
Let us hope they also expand this service to Las Americas as well ....you cannot imagine the comfort factor of arriving in the US as if you were on a domestic flight....Las Americas has different owners I hope they are willing to cough up the money as well ...if not I hope people make the effort to leave from Punta Cana to put pressure on them to spend the money
Written by: baldoria23, 25 Jul 2008 9:07 AM
From: United States, Washington
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 9:13 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
Baldy pay attention it is for everybody who leaves from Punta Cana no matter where you are from China ,Dom Rep who cares ....It is a service paid for by the owners of Punta Cana airport...Go there if you want to use it ...or have the owners of Las Americas cough up the money as well ..God only knows they collect enough money for their other so called services
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 9:37 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
Baldy this shows the shallowness of your thought process to start with the slimy race card from the bottom of the deck ....All the Dominicans Americans working in INS or Customs are bidding on these jobs as we speak ...This has nothing to do with RACISM this is business..... The.owners of airport in..Punta Cana paid for it to enhance their destination
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 9:57 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
Tex this is true win win and you can be sure every employee in the INS or US customs with a connection to the DR will be begging for those positions ...there will be a lot of competition for these choice positions...And they will spend a lot of money in the country ....Baldoria thinks this is racism....D'oh
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 9:59 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
are you joking or do you have a complex Baldy... " Not a surprise... all comforts for the tourists, and same racist treatment for Dominicans." says Baldoria
Written by: baldoria23, 25 Jul 2008 10:14 AM
From: United States, Washington
GC, I do have a complex b/c thats what I see in the media and the treatment I and all dominicans get when we leave the country. Now, sure everyone who travels fromPunta cana will benefit from the services and comfort of the new service. But how many DOminicans versus tourists travel through Punta Cana? Why not put this service in Santiago?

To not see any racial implication in this, is to try to use excuses to hide the discriminatory practices that provide additional benefits to certain classes. THis is a service aimed at tourists, not to benefit DOminicans. People who can't see that are BLind. It's like justifying racists practices through market exclusions. It's not that INTEC is racist, just expensive. it so happens that whites are disproportionately affluent, so they go to these type of universities much more than non-whites. This is not overtly racists, but the effects are the same, the systematic exclusion of non-whites from "prestigious" universities & high-paying jobs.
Written by: MrDom, 25 Jul 2008 10:36 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo, DN
baldoria23, Punta Cana Airport is the busiest airport of DR...... So why going to Santiago......
Besides Punta Cana is projected to grow more than 80% in 3 to 5 years
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 10:42 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
this is paid for by the local owners as a business expense ....Go to Cuba if you want to be all the same...which they are far from ....You are part of the victim ...poor me whiner class ...Get over it and get ahead....you can do whatever you want ....look at Obama and he is phony....But he did not go around whining about being a victim ....Jesse and Al charlatan yes but that is so over ...Obama does not even want to have his picture taken with those losers
Written by: baldoria23, 25 Jul 2008 11:28 AM
From: United States, Washington
Actually, I'm not whining, just providing an insight into mcuh accepted discriminatory practices. Let me put it a different way, if YOU saw something wrong and said nothing, what would that make you? silence is the greatest ally of the status quo. The privileged class enjoy the status quo, so they see nothing wrong with it. Many Dominicans abroad do not see the continuous inequality and abuses that take place daily. And many people don't realize or see that common accepted practices and policies are used to exclude historically discriminated groups from bars, schools, jobs, etc.

As far as "making it", I'm not 'whining' for my own conditions, I'm critiquing and analyzing which is the responsibility of every citizen, especially academics. Highlighting the flaws in our society is a way of pushing for change. Hiding behind the positives is just cowardly and complisitory (sp?) with discriminatory practices that maintain the vast in misery. But enjoy your day, GC, b/c change is coming
Written by: Belial, 25 Jul 2008 11:32 AM
From: United States, Texas

US imperialists are becoming more imperial and arrogant everyday.

Now, they want US reactionaries stationed at a Dominican airport bossing DRs around like slaves. "Hey Pedro, yeah you, get over there and shut up," a loud US reactionary at the airport bosses a Dominican.

As always, imperial servility is defended by the argument that "If you become a grinning slave of the USAs and if you meekly let the USAs publicly humiliate you, then the USAs will be pay you more money or give you a bigger tip."

"Well at least the DRs won't be the only US slaves the imperialists own, the Canadians and Bahamians already enjoy their servitude to the US imperialists." the serfs also say in their defense.

Watch out, if you refuse to bow and scrap before the conceited and insolent US imperialists, GC and his kind will call you a commie.

Welcome to the Party, comrade.
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 11:33 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
I hope so ...But not Hugo the goofball change that is really phony....or belial revolution I hope they give me a good job sitting around after we take over type change....but change like getting rid of the corruption excesses in your country
Written by: Belial, 25 Jul 2008 11:44 AM
From: United States, Texas

US and other reactionaries argue "If you're anti-imperialist, then you're anti-American."

But this is another one of those dirty lies that US imperialists and their propaganda running dogs repeatedly tell everybody.

The truth however is "If you're pro-imperialist, then you're anti-American."
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 11:49 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
Moron this is a pure business decision and very expensive on the part of the owners of the airport....MORON
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 11:59 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
TEX Pure yanquiphobia on the part of knownothings and trouble makers like commie stooge belial who is trying to suck up to the less educated types as usual....the bootlicking apparachik
Written by: anthonyC, 25 Jul 2008 12:01 PM
"Obviously, the US imperialists in the Dominican Republic don't believe the DRs are trustworthy or reliable."

Hello Captain Obvious.
Written by: CarlosFranco, 25 Jul 2008 12:03 PM
From: United States, Brooklyn
I guess this is one way for DR to bend the rules of having a passport in order for US tourist to travel there
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 12:07 PM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
Even Dread cannot defend the nonsense of the idea that this is a loss off of something ....if you have ever been anywhere that has pre clearance you would understand how great this is....Racist that is even nuttier.....Baldy come clean admit it ....you do not really believe that...or you do not understand what pre clearance is
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 12:10 PM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
Carlos that is the negative for those very few that got here without a valid Passport which is still possible if you come from Puerto Rico ....via the ferry
Written by: Belial, 25 Jul 2008 12:15 PM
From: United States, Texas
"It said the dream of Cancun tourism business leaders of having a station controlled by United States personnel will become a reality for Dominican Republic, after their efforts with the Mexican authorities have yet to reach what will take place at Punta Cana. " DT reports.

oooo

Either the DT is wrong or Tex invents reality, for Tex says "You see this in ... Cancun Mexico."

In other words, Tex says it has already taken place in Cancun. But the DT, citing Cancun tourism business leaders as its source, reports "efforts with the Mexican authorities have yet to reach what will take place at Punta Cana."

Some people criticize me for documenting my statements like I'm doing here, because they like to be free to make up everything they say. Tex makes up things about Cancun.

Shame on him.
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 12:24 PM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
Belial cannot get a passport
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 12:27 PM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
I have been doing pre clearance out of Toronto for over 30 years almost 40...That the DR can now get this service is great
Written by: carbelk99 This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 12:40 PM
iam a white Dominican born from Moca,the only time that i experienced RACISM in the USA was from African Americans,the Dominicans who com plaint abour Racism are those who missbehave or comit any type of crimes,the same goes for the africans americans .I came to this country to work and study.I went to a bar in Philadelphia,in a black neighborhood,they wouldn t serve me,they told me many.many racist remarks. i didn t go in T V whinning...I hope Baldoria read my post .............This is for Belial if you are a communist why do you live in the United States.?
Written by: ladronaso, 25 Jul 2008 1:02 PM
Regarding: carbelk99, 25 Jul 2008 12:40 PM:
You say you are white Dominican. By who's account? Yours? Reality is that white Dominicans are few. Dominicans that are more fair skinned than mulato are many. And many of these more fair skinned (than mulatto) Dominicans consider themselves white. What you might call white may not be so in the eyes of many in the U.S. Specifically in the Midwest i.e. Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Indianna.

You say you never experienced racism. Well this shows you havent been around much in the U.S. There is a major difference between living in large ethnically diverse metropolitan city and living in the rural parts of the U.S.

Racism is alive and well in the United States of America. I have lived it.

Written by: anthonyC, 25 Jul 2008 1:13 PM
LAdronaso,

What a racist Pig you are! There are plenty of White Dominicans. Your racist jealousy is so obvious it if silly.
Why do you hate "white" dominicans so much that you need to lash out?

There is racism in the U.S but it is miniscule compared to that found in the D.R. You post proves it.
Written by: MrDom, 25 Jul 2008 1:15 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo, DN
Why any kind of news here has to be turn into racism?????
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 1:18 PM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
because Baldy said pre clearance was proof of racism because he said it was for white tourists
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 1:19 PM
and it fit with his Yanquiphobia and the Ladrones too
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 1:20 PM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
where is dread I hope he can give an intelligent reading on pre clearance......with out the domino
Written by: ladronaso, 25 Jul 2008 1:26 PM
AnthonyC. You should go back inside, your mother is calling you.

She didn't say you can come out and play.

Written by: GhoulishColon This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 6:13 PM
"Pre Clearance" does not always mean you will never be processed by customs at your US destination .. it all depends .. travellers flying London-Los Angeles go through "Pre Clearance" at Heathrow and almost always through US customs in LA .. this was happening well before 9/11 .. During "Pre Clearance", U.S. officials may question you, but cannot arrest you (either for customs or immigration violations, or for the execution of outstanding warrants). However, they could keep you from boarding the aircraft.
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 25 Jul 2008 6:16 PM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
not always " like 1 in 10000 ".............However, they could stop you boarding the aircraft.......thats all that counts
Written by: anthonyC, 25 Jul 2008 9:32 PM
"AnthonyC. You should go back inside, your mother is calling you."

Once again a small-minded person was called out on his jealousy of those who are better then they are and they resort to silly, grammer school insults.
Written by: ladronaso, 25 Jul 2008 10:16 PM
You really should stop acting like an Anus Crevice Smelling Troll, and provide details that will validate your accusations.

If not,
Crawl back to the cave from which you lurched.
Written by: ladronaso, 26 Jul 2008 8:09 AM
AnthonyC:

I have lived in both, an ethnically diverse metropolis as well as rural America.

...
Written by: ladronaso, 26 Jul 2008 8:10 AM
(cont)

I do not deny that racism exist in DR, but DR is a homogeneous society so the racism that exist is very different from the racism in the U.S. And for your information racism in the U.S. is not minuscule. If you continue to believe this you have not lived in the U.S. Or perhaps you are "White" or White Dominican and when among "whites" you pass yourself as white in order to gain acceptance.

And by the way, you should see the doctor about that yeamatitis-mamatosis. It is contagious.
Written by: baldoria23, 26 Jul 2008 9:12 AM
From: United States, Washington
Ladronaso, I'm w/ you but let me just correct one thing you said - The DR is NOT homogenous. If you don't believe me, just compare music - from Palo to Classical; Compare education - La U.A.S.D. to Intec; to regional customs & accents.

The DR is far from Homogenous. The myth of homogeneity is a tool used to discriminate against those who don't fit in: gays, women, immigrants, and so on. Living and working in the DR, one can see how diverse people are. People who who've grown up with a Silver Spoon in their mouth, and hang out in bars along the Lincoln, have little to relate to people who grew up in a Batey or a Loma. I know people who come from the country side of Jarabacoa, and can't relate to my friends in the Capital!

We should recognize and celebrate our difference, and analyze systemic SES differences to see if any group has a disproportionate lock on economic resources.

Racism can be overt or disguised via market exclusion, and that's been my point throughout.
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 26 Jul 2008 9:20 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
then that is class distinction not racism and yes that exists
Written by: anthonyC, 26 Jul 2008 10:02 AM
"I have lived in The United States America. Therefore I have a pretty good understanding of how Americans (both Black and White) live and think. On the other side of my cultural circle my family consist of both what you will call "white" Dominicans, black and mulatto Dominicans. To add to the pot, I have family members who have married outside of the Dominican culture and have married into white America, so therefore I believe I have a good perspective of how others view us."
No you don't! What you have is purely anecdotal.
All you can comment is what has been your experience and that depends on the person you are.

If you are a pretenscious liberal with dellusions of superiority (like you) than people will react different than with others.
Everything depends on how people view you. It could be anything from your personality to the cologne you wear.
Written by: anthonyC, 26 Jul 2008 10:04 AM
"then that is class distinction not racism and yes that exists "
You hit the nail on the head.
Written by: GhoulishColon This user is banned, 26 Jul 2008 10:17 AM
Sure .. it was just "class distinction" that got a young Mexican beaten to death in Pennsylvania last month .. two White boys walked up to him and asked to see his "Class ID" .. it said "Mexican Class" .. which is of course different from "American Class" .. so they proceeded to beat him senseless .. he died on a respirator a few days later .. so which one of you would like to be beaten to death by somebody from the "American Class"? or the "British Class"? or the "German Class"? the "Russian Class"? take your pick and I will put you on the next "fright" there.
Written by: GhoulishColon This user is banned, 26 Jul 2008 10:25 AM
It will all become very clear when it happens to your Cl-Ass in the land of the White Tribes .. a gang of xenophobic red necks chasing your Cl-Ass down the street and beating your Cl-Ass into the pavement .. if you are lucky you wake up in an ICU with IVs running up your Cl-Ass .. all because their Cl-Ass in higher than your Cl-Ass ..
Written by: ladronaso, 26 Jul 2008 10:26 AM
Baldoria I agree with a few points made, but as Gc stated your points are a class distinction issue. However, I don't discount the reality that there is racism among these groups. Many times this class distinction exist in tandem with ethnocentrism and racism.

I was not born with a silver spoon, more like a wooden one. But as time has passed, I have enriched my life with education and experiences. I have learned to appreciate the finer things in life. I have learned the benefits and opportunities that education (in all the sense) can provide. Therefore, by natural evolution, I have distanced myself from the barrios the ghettos the lifestyle and acquaintances of the underworld and like, I once associated myself with growing up. Not because I feel or think am better, but because I have evolved to a person who has sought something different than what I was.
Written by: ladronaso, 26 Jul 2008 10:27 AM
(cont)
Back to DR. DR is a homogeneous society, in the sense it has one common thread consisting of language, culture, idiosyncrasies, religious beliefs common practices and traditions. The U.S. is approx. 70% White and 20 % something other. Within these "others", minorities or whatever one wishes to call them, exist many internal differences in ethnicity, socioeconomic, and culture, that are not inclusive of the 70% Therefore the U.S. can be considered less homogeneous than DR.

And yes, their is a disproportionate lock on economic resources and opportunities attributed to color. I have met White Dominicans who would not associate themselves with anyone unless they are on the same socioeconomic level. Just the same, I have met Dominicans who also would not if you were not white or fair skinned Dominican.
Written by: ladronaso, 26 Jul 2008 10:28 AM
(cont)
But my argument with the subterranean cretin (AnthonyC) is:

-Racism exist in the U.S. (and its not minuscule)

-Racism in the U.S. is regionally different.

-Many fair skinned Hispanics, i.e Dominicans etc. that call themselves "white" would not be considered White, by standards of many whites in Rural America

Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 26 Jul 2008 10:36 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
ladrone every thing you say is true up to a point and class distinction and racism often go hand in hand but always remember Education and a strong economy floats all boats...we must all strive to treat our fellow man with dignity....A positive outlook attitude will always win out over the constant victimization whining that goes nowhere....Just look at belial a perfect example of human degradation of the slimiest nature....Also remember the USA is a great example of a constantly evolving society with the highest human values in regard to racial progress ...No other country can compare to the incredible test tube it has become
Written by: anthonyC, 26 Jul 2008 11:15 AM
Ladronaso,

Speaking of Cretins

an·ec·dot·al (nk-dtl)
adj.
1. also an·ec·dot·ic (-dtk) or an·ec·dot·i·cal (--kl) Of, characterized by, or full of anecdotes.
2. Based on casual observations or indications rather than rigorous or scientific analysis:
Written by: ladronaso, 26 Jul 2008 11:23 AM
So, the cretin knows how to cut and paste.

Wonder what other marvelous tricks he can do.
Written by: anthonyC, 26 Jul 2008 11:38 AM
"Wonder what other marvelous tricks he can do."

Lots!
Expose you as a racist.
Expose you as an Illiterate.
Expose you as a Jealous Hater.
Expose you as a neophyte in the ways of Economics and geo-political relations.
Expose you as naive and easily manipulated by the media.

The list is long.
Written by: ladronaso, 26 Jul 2008 11:51 AM
You are really a true definition of a mooncalf.
Written by: ZonaDominicana, 26 Jul 2008 2:50 PM
From: United States, Orange County, California
There are discrimination every where. The TSA in US stop you at the airport for just being foreigner. And you must go through extra check points. While in the Dominican Republic you get discriminated for just being Dominican. You will get checked and questioned several times just to make sure you are traveling legally, or just to get some cash out of you. Having US customs in Dominican soil can save money to the government, but when those tourists arrive and they see the personal is carrying the US flag instead of the Dominican flag in their uniforms then that required a second though.
Written by: Belial, 26 Jul 2008 3:03 PM
From: United States, Texas

"But my argument with the subterranean cretin (AnthonyC) is" ... blah, blah, blah ... ladronaso specifies in an earlier post.

Then big-mouthed GC compulsively intrudes in a conversation, where he doesn't belong, saying "ladrone every thing you say is true up to a point."

"Ladrone" is GC's diminutive rendition of "Ladronaso."

So, according to GC, anthonyC, who is GC's best friend, is up to a point a subterranean cretin.

GC, up to what point is your best friend a subterranean cretin?

GC, is a subterranean cretin smarter than a ET cretin?
Written by: Belial, 26 Jul 2008 3:17 PM
From: United States, Texas
Let me ask you, how many international trips have you made in your life or have you even ventured out of the 4th. ward. I bet your mommy does'nt let you leave home by yourself afraid the bullies will get you or the MS-13."

oooo

Tex, you are slime, aren't you?

It's the 3rd, not 4th.

I at least played jazz in the DR for several weeks.

I hope that counts.
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 26 Jul 2008 5:06 PM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
until they kicked you out for making hideous noise and offending the public with your gross indolence and swinish behavior ...a..1 and 2 and 3 your out like Lawrence Welk...does that count
Written by: FrankdelYonkers, 26 Jul 2008 6:23 PM
I hope this comes to the Santiago airport as well.
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 26 Jul 2008 7:04 PM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
Frank you better get a lot of money out because you need a lot of people to pay for this service a lot of people a lot of money so you better forget about it in Santiago
Written by: baldoria23, 27 Jul 2008 8:35 AM
From: United States, Washington
Many political theorists have argued that racism is an outgrowth of class distinction, and a tool to maintain the oppressed class divided and depressed. These folks, cogently represented by Nancy Fraser, argue that if class distinction went away, racism would also go away. This is a very appealing argument, and one I would like to believe. HOwever, I think that even if we were all equal, socio-economically, mis-recognition of groups may still exist. I think the point is power, as long as we have a system that allows the inheritance, abuse, and monopolization of power that leads to division.

And again, market tools are used to discriminate against the lower classes. Since whites are over-represented in the rich class, if you have expensive universities, clubs, restaurants, apartments, etc., you're almost insured that only whites will patronize these establishments, no? Is this not a form of racism? at least of discrimination? and is there nothing wrong in this?

Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 27 Jul 2008 10:06 AM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
Baldy It is capitalism unrefined... it goes where the money is...It is very unfair but it will make you strive harder ....The only thing worse is socialism or communism ....That is what really kills the spirit and the soul
Written by: ladronaso, 27 Jul 2008 12:00 PM
baldoria23, 27 Jul 2008 8:35 AM: You stated:
" I think the point is power, as long as we have a system that allows the inheritance, abuse, and monopolization of power that leads to division."

This is true, however in modern day money is the instrument of power and greed is the corrupt ambition that drives us. Human behavior will always find a reason to discriminate weather it be socioeconomic ethnic, language geography, etc. . If we were all of the same color and height tribes would form based on certain distinctions, they would organize and find reasons to rebel against others.

Having said. Man always acts in self interest weather it's stimulated by power, prejudices or prestige. Unfortunately in the DR because of the lack of "real middle class" and education, there exist no real meritocratic system. The only one to blame is society as the whole not any one class or group.
Written by: baldoria23, 27 Jul 2008 2:32 PM
From: United States, Washington
First of all, great discussion. This is a great way of procastinating from the latest chapter of my my dissertation - Clientelism & DR Politics, which I hope to share with some of you.

Anyhow, many people have argued that it's human nature to divide, to be greedy and so on. THis may be all true, but it's a poor excuse to defend a system that maintains the vast majority in a state of oppression. I don't accept that we are bound to Human Nature. First of all we are creatures whose behavior and action are shaped by social institutions - e.g. monogamy, cash economy, paying taxes, stopping at red lights, not killing each other! We can create, or aim to create, insittuions that level the playing field. THis means that those in power now and who benefit from the status quo may have to give up a lot, so that everyone can benefit of good education, good roads, free health care, free child care, clean water and air, and so forth. So what we need is institutional reform.
Written by: anthonyC, 27 Jul 2008 6:24 PM
Division and greed do not great oppression!

Lack of Greed can create oppression. If you sit back and let others dictate your life than you are oppressed. If you stand up for yourself and earn what you deserve than you are not oppressed.

Lack of Division can.create oppression.
If you think it is ok to be with everyone around you then you are oppressed. If you decide that, yes, there is scum out there and I don't want to associate myself with them then you are not oppressed.
Written by: gouletcolonial This user is banned, 27 Jul 2008 8:32 PM
From: Cuba, it is a secret the censors are looking for me
Then just say "belial I do not want to associate with you "