Previous Next Close Gallery
U.S. Satellite image.
Picture 1 of 3
Previous Next Zoom Picture

SANTO DOMINGO. – The country’s Civil Defense reports that so far around 2,200 people are in shelters and 446 homes have been affected by Tropical Storm Fay’s lashing winds and downpours across the island.

Residents in the country’s northeastern, eastern, and Santo Domingo provinces have suffered damages as the tropical wave quickly turned into a tropical storm, with winds extending 140 kilometers north and east of its center, located near latitude 18.6 North latitude and 70.5 West longitude.

Newspaper Diario Libre said a bridge collapsed in the town Sabana Larga, San Jose de Ocoa province (south), but no reports of injuries.

FILE.-SANTO DOMINGO.- Most of Dominican Republic’s territory is on alert as Tropical Storm Fay formed quickly and packed a surprising punch, killing one person, downing trees and billboards across the island Friday night and early Saturday, with downpours as high as 125 millimeters in some areas.

Esther Jiménez Almonte, 34, drowned in a swollen creek in Higuey, and her nephews Alexandra Castillo, 13, and Alexis Castillo, 5, are missing, newspaper Listin Diario reports.

Fay, which the National Hurricane Center classified as just a tropical wave Friday morning, quickly organizing and became a storm as it reached Hispaniola, was located 55 kilometers east of the capital Santo Domingo last night with sustained maximum winds of 75 kilometers per hour and higher gusts.

The storm is moving west at 22 kilometers per hour, as the Emergency Operations Center issued red alerts.

Fay developed so quickly that it was upgraded from a wave to a tropical storm within hours, and skipped the tropical depression category.

COMMENTS
Written by: GhouliiishColon This user is banned, 16 Aug 2008 10:19 AM
I guess this is our harbinger of worse to come this season .. here we go again.
Written by: BLANCO, 16 Aug 2008 12:33 PM
anybody watching this must ahve known it was a corker. puerto rico got lashed. the system for warning here is not working and another way has to be found. 'nome culpa "on this one also. and the season has just begun
Written by: GhouliiishColon This user is banned, 16 Aug 2008 12:45 PM
What? But you guys are the US. Why would your warning system go down? I mean with all the sophisticated Doppler Radar and satellite weather imagery. Could it have something to do with the weak PR bid for "independencia". Is Del Norte punishing you guys for "bad behavior" by holding back on the "weather dineros"? You know they got Ojeda in Mayaguez for his "bad boy" tactics.
Written by: mrios, 16 Aug 2008 1:51 PM
I live in Southern California about 1/2 mile from the San Andreas Fault line and since nobody can predict Earth Quakes I have excepted the unexpected, this is a way of life for me and my Family. I store extra food, water, Gun and First-aide kit.........And not to sound uncaring but at least there are always a couple days warning before a Thunder Storm Hurricane strikes, I just HOPE AND PRAY that the Dominican Gov. and People would be more prepared that's all, after all the Hurricane Season is not over yet.
Written by: GhouliiishColon This user is banned, 16 Aug 2008 2:34 PM
Yeah .. sure I prepare .. Cerveza .. Cerveza .. Cerveza .. big party .. get totally drunk .. so when it hits I don't even know it happened. Pretty good huh? Just don't try it at home.
Written by: Jander, 16 Aug 2008 5:02 PM
Ha Ha , yep here is the priority..

Here is weekend were everyone knew a big storm was coming so instead of upholding the curfew they encourage everyone to stay out all night and drink if you want.

That sort of sums it up, but you know it works in a 'Bizzaro World" sort of way!

2. Drink if you want
The Ministry of Interior and Police has lifted drinking hour limits for the weekend on occasion of the Restoration Day holiday. The holiday this year coincides with President Leonel Fernandez's inaugural ceremonies. Alcohol can now be sold around the clock on 15, 16 and 17 August.

Written by: GhouliiishColon This user is banned, 16 Aug 2008 5:32 PM
It used to be that life had value and the beer was cheap .. today the beer is expensive but life is worthless .. bizarre indeed.
Written by: anthonyC, 17 Aug 2008 9:50 AM
Gooly,

I was wondering when somebody would blame the US for Fay.
Written by: GhouliiishColon This user is banned, 17 Aug 2008 9:58 AM
I blame YOU. It is your HOT AIR. Energy supply for Fay.
Written by: anthonyC, 17 Aug 2008 10:49 AM
Another insightful and thought provoking remark from Gooly.
Written by: GhouliiishColon This user is banned, 17 Aug 2008 12:38 PM
Move to Florida where you will be in the BULLS EYE. I was in Fort Lauderdale when WILMA hit. It blew the roof off my house. I got it fixed and ready for the next one. If you sleep on railroad tracks. You will eventually get hit by a train. If you play on the highway. You will eventually get hit by a car or truck. No big deal.
Written by: anthonyC, 17 Aug 2008 1:34 PM
Gooly,

I live in Florida. Hurricane Andrew went right down my street and that was a CAT 5, one of only 3 recorded to have hit the US. I have been through 16 'canes. Wilma was a wimp.

So my standing orders are "Don't wake me unless it is a CAT 3 or bigger.
Written by: GhouliiishColon This user is banned, 17 Aug 2008 1:59 PM
I thought you lived up NORTH in Jersey .. what a surprise .. if you caught Andrew .. you must have been either in Miami or Hialeah and the immediate environs. Well let's hope this one turns into a CAT 5 so that you can be woken from your long slumber .. judging by your performance on these blogs.
Written by: malva70997, 17 Aug 2008 9:54 PM
I think Ghouliiish is Chris Colon from DR1... huh? He doesn't have a life so he spends his time insulting other people and the Dominican way of life, but in a strange, weird and sad sort of way he always manage to hit the nail on the head. Honestly, Onamet did not mention the storm until thursday when the NOAA page was showing it as a potential TD since last monday. From Monday to Thursday there was nothing on the ONAMET page to suggest that a storm was on the way, of course they made sure EVERYONE was informed that the alcohol restriction was lifted due to the presidential inauguration. Thank God for Gobierno de la Tarde who took it upon themselves to warn everyone and get continous updates from an independent source, not just ONAMET.
Written by: GhouliiishColon This user is banned, 17 Aug 2008 10:37 PM
I think you are the wrong on BOTH COUNTS .. I am neither Chris Colon .. nor am I insulting the Dominican way of life. Where is your PROOF that I am Chris Colon? Where is your PROOF that I am INSULTING the "Dominican Way of Life"? If you don't have the PROOF then JUST SHUT YOUR BIG MOUTH. OK?
Written by: GhouliiishColon This user is banned, 17 Aug 2008 10:46 PM
One more SQUEAK from you .. and I will throw you into the Hadron Particle Accelerator .. I am WARNING YOU ..
Written by: malva70997, 17 Aug 2008 11:05 PM
no proof whatsoever... sorry sir.... oops... someone got offended... LMFAO
Written by: GhouliiishColon This user is banned, 17 Aug 2008 11:11 PM
OK .. I am sparing your life this time .. but next time .. you will be accelerated to the speed of light and collide HEAD ON with an opposing beam of 7 TeV protons .. it will hurt like heck .. and you will run crying to MOMMY.