Enriquillo, the rebel Taino.

Santo Domingo.- 15% of Dominicans has Taino genes not found anywhere else, according to research began in 2006 which also determined that another 15% conserve Euro-Asian genetic characteristics, whereas most of the Dominican population, 70%, has DNA of African origin.

“The study demonstrates that indigenous mitochondrial DNA exists in Dominican society today, that DNA is unique and those genetic variants exclusively Dominican must exist,” said research team leader Dr. Juan Carlos Martinez-Cruzado, head of the Biology Department of Puerto Rico University in Mayaguez.

The results of the “Continental origins of the first populations of the Caribbean islands and the migratory movements which formed them. DNA in Dominican Republic,” were presented Wednesday night by Martínez-Cruzado and Dr. Fermín Mercedes de la Cruz, of the University UCE of San Pedro (east).

COMMENTS
Written by: ElProfe This user is banned, 17 Jun 2010 9:26 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Jarabacoa

I think these numbers are low also how about the Cubans and Puerto Ricans.
Written by: juanb, 17 Jun 2010 9:27 AM
100 % of Gobernistas have the criminal gene.
Written by: Nehesy, 17 Jun 2010 9:29 AM
From: France, London / Paris
@ El profe

Low about what ?
Written by: ElTorodeiCibao, 17 Jun 2010 9:31 AM
ElProfe
"I think these numbers are low also how about the Cubans and Puerto Ricans."

I think Puerto Ricans on average show 30-33% Taino contribution, but I may be off. Cubans are somewhere inbetween Dominicans and Puerto Ricans. It's always puzzled me how there's more contribution in Boricuas though the island was smaller and less advantage for Tainos to hide unlike Quisqueya.
Written by: cibaeño75, 17 Jun 2010 9:46 AM
From: United States, New York City
According to a study by the same Martinez Cruzado Taino contribution to the mitochondrial DNA of the Puerto Rican population is somewhere in the neighborhood of 60%.
Written by: ElTorodeiCibao, 17 Jun 2010 9:51 AM
Thanks for the correction Cibby, it's Cubans who show ~30% contribution.
Written by: cibaeño75, 17 Jun 2010 9:55 AM
From: United States, New York City
"Thanks for the correction Cibby, it's Cubans who show ~30% contribution. "

Whre'd you get that info from?
Written by: Lopez31, 17 Jun 2010 9:59 AM
Written by: cibaeño75, 17 Jun 2010 10:04 AM
From: United States, New York City
"70% of African origin? What the population did the study? The capital region????"

That's mitochondrial DNA, the DNA passed on from your mother. For DNA passed on from the paternal side the results will be very different otherwise we wouldn't be a multi-racial people as any observation with the naked eye clearly demonstrates. But there are several other historical conclusions that can be drawn from these figures. I'll reserve comments until this picks up in the forum.
Written by: Cacique, 17 Jun 2010 10:16 AM
Gene no matter, all nations have good blood, snake eyes, my tribe is all Dominican, have black and white brothers, red man here first but have good heart for strangers, Peace.
Written by: ElProfe This user is banned, 17 Jun 2010 10:21 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Jarabacoa

@ Nehesy

I would think that the % would be higher.

Also for a study to be more accurate you would need to do the study in all regions of the Island.

For instance, Cubans from Santiago de Cuba are more like Dominicans than Cubans from Havana.
Written by: jhcl2012, 17 Jun 2010 10:27 AM
From: United States, PA - Mas pa'lante, ¡Manos a la obra!
Does it really matter? We are here today and as Dominicans we must work to make the Dominican Republic a better country for our children; God knows I'm trying!!!

How about you?

Pa'lante todos...
Written by: ElTorodeiCibao, 17 Jun 2010 10:32 AM
Cibby
"Whre'd you get that info from?"

I apologize, I just realized it was unsourced information. I don't think extensive studies have been done in Cuba.
Written by: ElTorodeiCibao, 17 Jun 2010 10:35 AM
The 70% African mtDNA seems right. Dominicans I've seen tested so far usually have African mtDNA haplogroups and Caucasian yDNA.

I have a Taino haplogroup for mtDNA (A2) and a European (most likely French) yDNA (R1b1b2a1a2f).
Written by: hellborn25, 17 Jun 2010 11:02 AM
From: United States, New Jersey Home of the brave.
was this study done by a haitian
Written by: xwill7, 17 Jun 2010 11:07 AM
From: United States, El cuarto bate
This study needs to be done in all regions of DR to get real numbers
Written by: Baracutei, 17 Jun 2010 11:26 AM
From: United States, New York/CT
This study was as complete as money allowed at the time. It should be noted that although Puerto Ricans show around 60% contribution, there are only 4 million on the island, so this number is indicative of about 2.5 million people in PR. If Dominicans are only 15% and we have a population of around 11 million, then there are about 1,650,000 dominicans with Taino mtDNA.
A very impressive number considering that we are not supposed to have any Native descent.
But these mtdna studies are not always conclusive because one can essentially have Native American ancestry and not have native mtDNA. A nuclear DNA test is needed and it has to be done all over the island. In these types of tests the average Dominican shows around a 20 %percent Native American ancestry. People liviing in isolated communities usually score higher.
Written by: cibaeño75, 17 Jun 2010 11:39 AM
From: United States, New York City
"el torrodelcibao, remeber that this site is not for intelligent debate.It is a site where lunatics come to spit their fear and bigotry"

You're one of them.
Written by: PatDiamond, 17 Jun 2010 11:44 AM
From: Botswana, La reconnaissance est une lachete'
Hellborn25

Was this sturdy done by Haitian
--------------------------------------

Blinded by ignorance, The scientific standard for Genome research clearly is bias against Dominicans in your mind. For the rest of you in the same league with this Dunce do you understand how a scientific poll is conducted ?
Written by: Juango, 17 Jun 2010 11:50 AM
From: United States, far S. Florida (formerly Santo Domingo)
Interesting informative research tidbit, but does it really matter? Better yet, why is this so important as news? juanb hit it on the head once again, in his comment above. The issue is not race or origins, but of Dominicans (a mixed blood group) and how they progress as people.
Written by: Ricardolito, 17 Jun 2010 11:57 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Zona Colonial
The results are only as good as the quality of the samples and the use of the samples as an indication of the entire population .so for example if the samples were taken mainly in the Samana peninsular they would be different than if taken in Santiago and if a few samples are taken from each city there has to be a significant chance of error ,,if the samples are taken from people in the street then they will be different than from people in an office,,you really need a very large sample of the population to be able to make any accurate statements .In other countries there are cross references about peoples genetics taken from other records where relevant questions are asked but not so in the DR .
the fact that Taino blood may exist in some people is no surprise because i am sure, that although the Taino race was wiped out here by the Spaniards, it was probably after there had been a lot of sex between the two races ..probably not always willingly .
Written by: telemeco, 17 Jun 2010 12:14 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Monte Plata
This debunked the spanish extermination theory,,,i alway wonder whatever happened to the taino that enriquillo lead in revolt 1541
Written by: ateo2010 This user is banned, 17 Jun 2010 12:34 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Owning Noobs
There should be a mayor change on how the kids in DR are educated at schools, I was always, and they are still always teaching students at schools that "all Tainos got exterminated" when it's not true. I think 15% would be the least, it has to be much more, let's say about 20%, mostly in the Cibao and southern regions of the country, like San Juan for example.

I would say the majority of males in DR have a European haplogroup 50-55%, and the majority of females a mix of african or taino(native) haplogroups, which is the very common in all Latin America.
Written by: cibaeño75, 17 Jun 2010 12:35 PM
From: United States, New York City
" let's say about 20%, mostly in the Cibao and southern regions of the country,"

In the cibao I would wager what I don't have that it would be higher than that.
Written by: ElTorodeiCibao, 17 Jun 2010 1:08 PM
Cibby
"In the cibao I would wager what I don't have that it would be higher than that."

Most definitely. While I came up 11% Taino (23% African, 66% (Southern) European in my autosomal, it's more than I thought I had growing up. This was done through 23andme which can be limited due to their population reference samples being small. There's another geneticist willing to reinterpret ones raw data using different population samples which can give you different results. Some Dominicans have gotten higher African input or higher Amerindian input based on this different interpretation. My email limits file sizes so I haven't emailed my raw data to him yet but I've gotten another email that allows larger files and am waiting for the results to see if that 11% skews higher or lower on the next test.
Written by: gregorioeltoro, 17 Jun 2010 1:08 PM
From: United States, Rochester, NY
Written by: ElTorodeiCibao, 17 Jun 2010 1:10 PM
gregorioeltoro
"What counts is your humanity ; not your genetic breakdown into- white, black or Taino (Native American) DNA. I relish the mixture of the races that make me a unique person."

While I agree, I think it's of scientific interest to map the admixture. Some of these testings (not the ones being done on the population for personal kits for individuals) can yield health risks, predispositions, etc.
Written by: THINK, 17 Jun 2010 1:12 PM
From: United States, SDQ -- Mia --NY

Gene inherited naturally from ancestors could influence the person's characteristics and performance., however by society influence, people's behavior could be influenced a lot.

Unfortunately, the influence from the society for Dominicans have a lot of negative impacts.... who should be blamed?

Individual, family, school , society, Government.... all of them contributed to a certain degree, especially the Government. But sadly enough to say the performance of DR Government is "MONEY" Government. "Money talks" happens in everywhere, in DR , it is so effective and function so well.
Written by: ElTorodeiCibao, 17 Jun 2010 1:20 PM
domex2k3
"I see we have some people in denial here. LOL El Primer hombre viene de africa so admitirlo ya."

I don't think anyone has expressed denial. Skepticism is healthy regarding tests of these nature.
Written by: mirabal4ever This user is banned, 17 Jun 2010 1:30 PM
From: United States, OMNIPRESENT. El Cantinero de Jarabacoa. "Aguilucho desde Chiquitito"
A pajarazo writes: "Those of you who think who are white and therefore superior to your darker skin brothers"

A patriot responds by saying first of all you are not a brother of any dominican that exists and secondly no dark skinned person from the western desert is a brother of us. Maybe a cousin in marriage to say the least.
Written by: Ricardolito, 17 Jun 2010 1:40 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Zona Colonial
telemoco ,,,I do not think you are correct ,I think the original inhabitants , the Taino , were wiped out but not before babies had been born with a Spanish father and a Taino mother , so the Taino blood continued in a diluted form .
When looking at the various genetics , I personally think that the mix of the west African blood with the Spanish blood has produced the most handsome race in the world and that Dominicans are very fortunate to have such a mix ..it is far more attractive to my eye than, say, the mix between the Spanish and other south American people.
One thing that I do find strange in the study is the term Euro-Asian as Europeans or Caucasians are totally different to Asians.the mix between Europeans and Asians also produces a very handsome person but , in my opinion , with out the strength of the European and West African mix ..as a European I feel quite ugly actually living here .
Written by: ElTorodeiCibao, 17 Jun 2010 1:52 PM
Ricardolito,

As to the first portion of your post concerning supposed Taino descendants surviving only in diluted forms, I don't think that explains the study Baracutei posted in the Taino thread regarding carbon dated artifacts that were dated as late as the mid-1800's (if I recall correctly without verifying). Mestizos/Castizos were considered "White" or what amounted to White in the colony so they would not have practiced making Taino articles.

As to the portion concerning the use of Eurasia, while the term can point from Europe all the way to East Asia it largely signifies in this case Near Asia most likely (the Middle/Near East possibly even NORTH AFRICAN [Berbers]). There isn't much East Asian (Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc) admixture in DR.
Written by: bayman46, 17 Jun 2010 2:01 PM
Written by: ElTorodeiCibao, 17 Jun 2010 2:29 PM
bayman46
"I'm I get the impression some of you( Dominicans)feel a little unsettled, about learning many of you(Maybe 70% or MORE) have West African Blood in very vains. Get Over Its..."

I don't know where you're getting these feelings from because no one has said this, maybe you're misreading posters. Dominicans know of their origins. If the amount of West African blood is in dispute then that's not an issue.
Written by: Ricardolito, 17 Jun 2010 2:37 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Zona Colonial
ElToro..maybe you are correct about the Taino ,,I was only writing what i have read in numerous histories and that was that the Taino were wiped out by disease introduced by the Spanish and by exhaustion from the labours.
As for the Eurasian , I have only seen the term used for the mixed blood Europeans and those of the Asian continent excluding the subcontinent of India-Pakistan ..As you correctly say , it is difficult to see any Asian blood in the DR but there is European blood everywhere ..so why the term Euro Asian?? and I am sure that more than 15% of the population have some Caucasian blood in them.
For those who dismiss the importance of genetics ,I think that you are making a big mistake.All good breeders of animals or birds will tell you how essential it is to introduce ,say , a great stallion or a great bull or a great rooster into their existing herd or flock ..it is no different in humans and that is also why we are not permitted to breed from our close relations.
Written by: Ricardolito, 17 Jun 2010 2:42 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Zona Colonial
For example , the old fashioned roman nose has almost been bred out and it has been proven that races which are susceptible to infections very easily improve with out breeding . Of course there are university degrees in genetics that do far more than analyse blood lines , they actually come up with great ideas for the human race to be improved by good genetics ..so I hope there is such a student here to advise us .
Written by: old_school_trinitario, 17 Jun 2010 2:46 PM
From: Dominican Republic, San Carlos, barrio de matatanes, aqui no invente

We have spider DNA also, I know a dude in Sanchez that can climb up a coconut tree 1 mile high and bring down 25 coconuts in a matter of minutes.

moraleja:

dejen eso del DNA que todos somos iguales ante los ojos del señor todo poderoso omnipotente
su holiness Leonel Fernandez dessalines.
Written by: ElTorodeiCibao, 17 Jun 2010 2:54 PM
Ricardolito,

While the term Eurasian can refer to a half Asian half Euro it can refer to the landmass that stretches from Europe to the Asia and everything in between. There has been tests showing North African/Middle Eastern DNA in Dominicans thus the "Eurasian".

Agreed over all with the importance of genetics.
Written by: ElTorodeiCibao, 17 Jun 2010 2:56 PM
etiennc01
"70% of Dominicans have DNA of African origin, may they mean Egypt and Syria not Ghana or Uganda.
Feel better now ????"

I don't understand where people seem to be getting that anyone's ashamed of any African genetic contribution. If you have nothing to post adding to the discussion on genetics don't instigate or feed flames.
Written by: lembo01, 17 Jun 2010 3:05 PM
Very interesting facts. Something very interesting to see when you live overseas is how you can tell when a person is dominican just by looking at them, that tells you there must be some unique characteristics in our DNAs.
Written by: ateo2010 This user is banned, 17 Jun 2010 3:38 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Owning Noobs
telemeco,
isn't the lazy gene the african not the spanish?
Written by: old_school_trinitario, 17 Jun 2010 3:47 PM
From: Dominican Republic, San Carlos, barrio de matatanes, aqui no invente
We're a mix race no matter how you look at us, no matter what % of african, taino or european DNA and i think that was what save us from the same backward and frustrated behavior our vecinos from the west side inherited from their ancestors which were 98% African and 2% retarded.

and everytime etiennc01 makes a comment his 2% retard DNA is there for everyone to see, no need for scientific studies or DNA breakdowns

Written by: ateo2010 This user is banned, 17 Jun 2010 4:06 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Owning Noobs
^ ^ ^
typical black genes striving for attention.
Written by: old_school_trinitario, 17 Jun 2010 4:30 PM
From: Dominican Republic, San Carlos, barrio de matatanes, aqui no invente

ATEO201

touche!!!
Written by: lembo01, 17 Jun 2010 5:12 PM
i agree with old school trinitario on the comment about etiennc01, although theres no need to denigrate ( what an irony if you now were the word comes from) any race or ethnicity. where all human beings we all share common carachteristics, our ability to reason should is a prove that were all the same. And hell to all cliches and stererotypes. Does being black or white make you more or less lazy? We all know better than that.
Written by: Nehesy, 17 Jun 2010 5:36 PM
From: France, London / Paris
The lazy ones are those who enslaved millions of greeks, berbers (blacks and whites) , arabs, subsaharan africans , Canarios (inhabitants of the Canaries islands), in their own country in Europe.

So they were heavily trained when they met the peaceful Tainos (repartimientos and encomiendas) whom they enslaved and treated like beasts.

After that they imported african slaves (your ancestors ) to work in their plantations (sugar, tobacco) , hatos, estancias and ingenios.

A lazy person is somebody who doesn't like to work and count on other people's job.

I am asking you who is the lazy one ???

PS : I'm giving you a clue, in Europe they're still seen as a lazy people...and almost a 3rd world country their huge government debts are putting all the money system in jeopardy...
Written by: Nehesy, 17 Jun 2010 5:43 PM
From: France, London / Paris
It should not be a surprise for anybody who have seriously studied that question.

Alan Cambeira a Dominican , wrote in his book "Quisqueya la bella " that African maroon societies were to be found all over the Eastern side of AYITI in the 16th century ( the first name given by the Arawaks, and then called Quisqueya by the Tainos) :

- San juan de la Maguana;
- Sierra de Bahoruco;
- Azua;
- Puerto plata;
- La Vega;
- Higuey;
- Rio san juan;
- Nagua;
- Samana;

Written by: Nehesy, 17 Jun 2010 5:56 PM
From: France, London / Paris
The Cibao valley was a Tobacco colonies and many Europeans peasants or peons were sent there in the 18th century , this is why you find more whites than blacks in this region. But they worked with african slaves on that tobacco plantations and were treates like slaves by their masters who happened to be mulattoes.

Cambeira says : "Both slave and peon experienced the same narrow relationship of total dependency on the unquestioned amo (master) " Page 115.

All the tobacco colonies in the Caribbeans ( Barbados, Cuba), or North America (South colonies) used MAINLY a white labor on their plantations. People can read Abbott Emerson Smith , Richard Brandon Morris and José antonio Saco for Cuba tobacco plantations;
Written by: Nehesy, 17 Jun 2010 6:12 PM
From: France, London / Paris
In all the spanish colonies ( South America, Caribbean , Central America) , the mixing was far more important between the Natives and the black slaves a group firstly called MULATO and then ZAMBO by the spanish than MESTIZOS (Spanish and Native indians).

Spanish forbade the marriage between the African slaves and the Tainos women in la hispaniola in 1513 , like they forbade unions between the african slaves and the native women in Peru , Mexico and all their colonies.

See the masterpiece written by the native Indian scholar Professor John D Forbes : " Africans and Native Americans : The language of race and the evolution of Red-Black Peoples".

By 1565 there was 15000 slaves for 500 Spanish in Puerto Rico, in la Hispaniola there was 30000 Slaves for 2000 slaves... See Forbes page 183
Written by: ElChilindrino This user is banned, 17 Jun 2010 6:12 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Sabana Del Puerto
the dominant part of the DR's racial make-up is african, period. People in El Cibao aren't even that white, they all look like mulattos, zambos and jabaos, most people there are not quadroon let only White. Wake up, you can deport illegal haitians, but the average dominican will still look like anthony santos
Written by: BASTA, 17 Jun 2010 6:19 PM
From: Dominican Republic, =Ghetto/Legalize Drugs/Free abortions for all Never Confuse Education with Intelligence
Twice in our history 75% of Dominicans left for PR-Cuba and V.
Spanish survey 1521 found 48% of Spanish men had Indian wifes and lovers!
Written by: ElChilindrino This user is banned, 17 Jun 2010 6:20 PM
Nehesy:

Lies, most people in el cibao are NOT white, not even Quadroons or Castizos or whatever.
Written by: ElChilindrino This user is banned, 17 Jun 2010 6:21 PM
These are Cibaenos:
Written by: DONT_BE_SILENT, 17 Jun 2010 6:44 PM
From: Dominican Republic, NEVER FORGOTTEN, NOR FORSAKEN!
I see a lot of people talking about skin color here, it doesn't really matter what color you are, if you're Dominican, and you don't have an anti-Dominican agenda, you are as much Dominican as anyone of us here.
Look, we have all:
http://portal.bufeo.com/galleries/galleries/1179/ I don't see what's the problem here.http://portal.bufeo.com/galleries/galleries/1194/
Written by: hellborn25, 17 Jun 2010 7:02 PM
From: United States, New Jersey Home of the brave.
ettine right on sheduled with his pro blackness hey ettine you know this study is bullshit , 15 percent only ? common your smart you know almost every dominican in dr has taino in them , shit every dominican i ever met looks like a indian , so before you start with the malcom x speech you and the guy that did the study do some real research
Written by: ElChilindrino This user is banned, 17 Jun 2010 7:13 PM
Don't be silent:

Those are upper middle class Dominicans, the average dominican is working class and cannot afford that lifestyle

Hellborn:

Taino features are rare outside of some parts of El Cibao and the South-West, most dominicans are phenotypically euro-african. If you would like the racial demographics to change, then maybe you should rally for El Cibao's independence
Written by: DominicanChic, 17 Jun 2010 7:30 PM
From: United States, New York
Chilindrino
It seems that Dominicans speaking of their whiteness and indigenous heritage struck a real nerve with you.
When will u ever learn that u cannot argue with Dominicans who can trace their ancestry In the country hundreds of years and dozens of generations. You will never win - get over it!
Written by: DominicanChic, 17 Jun 2010 7:30 PM
From: United States, New York
Chilindrino
It seems that Dominicans speaking of their whiteness struck a real nerve with you.
Written by: ElChilindrino This user is banned, 17 Jun 2010 7:55 PM
Dominicanchic:

I have no problem, just stop trying to skew the demographics. Most Dominicans are mulattos of predominantly african ancestry whether you choose to accept it or not
Written by: bayman46, 17 Jun 2010 8:12 PM
DON'T BE SILENT: There is a COLOR PROBLEM in D.R. I am a Black American that lived and worked in the D.R. for 5 years. I was very surprised to observe prejudices against the color of someone skin in Santo Domingo.

Written by: yumnuk3, 17 Jun 2010 8:25 PM
From: United States, Bring DT Forum Back ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨
We have a lot of forum members with rare intelligence. It's very rare when they show any.LOL.
Written by: delgadoMASS, 17 Jun 2010 8:27 PM
From: United States, new england
this study doesn't surprise me one bit .

you want to know who have strong native american blood? mexicans and guatemalans. if you live in the east coast, you'll know what im talking about.
they look like straight up native americans, indians.-- straight hair, high cheek bones, short.... etc...

dominicans are mostly mulatto of various shades, usually light brown. while most haitians are pure african black people.

Written by: bayman46, 17 Jun 2010 8:40 PM
ElProfe,you have a very "small minded" way of thinking. You could have kept your two cent.
Written by: ElProfe This user is banned, 17 Jun 2010 9:06 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Jarabacoa

Bayman, It's not about a small mind at all.

It's about ass holes like danny00, hellborn, nehesy and etiennc01 that piss me off.

I am Cuban by birth and if I have Tiano in me that is great, If i have African in me that is great too.

It's like juanb hit it on the head once again, in his comment above. The issue is not race or origins, but of Dominicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans (a mixed blood group) and how they progress as people.

Haitians on the other hand are 100% African and you can't doubt that
Written by: delgadoMASS, 17 Jun 2010 9:28 PM
From: United States, new england

^^those are guatemalans . they are native american or "mestizo".

many mexicans especially in ny and the east coast look like them.

clearly, they have strong native american blood.
Written by: Helen, 17 Jun 2010 9:32 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Nagua
Hey ElProfe - I have small ears too, that doesn't make me Haitian; I happen to like my small ears, and I certainly like my guy's small ears. Most of the world is of mixed origin, time to move on!
Written by: Lautaro, 17 Jun 2010 9:35 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Bring DT Forum Back
delgadoMASS,

Would you believe me if I told you that the following dude is a mestizo?

PS: The first image that you posted is of a 100% amerindian and in the second one, the people there have, as a minimum, 80% of amerindian ancestry. A textbook mestizo is a person that is roughly 50/50 european/amerindian. You're obviously confusing the terms.
Written by: ateo2010 This user is banned, 17 Jun 2010 9:40 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Owning Noobs
delgadoMASS,
those one in that picture are pure ingenuous people, if not almost pure.
And I'm getting sick and tired of this afrocentric clowns in here. Starting with that ignorant mentally challenged "Dominican" called chilindrino.
Written by: ElTorodeiCibao, 17 Jun 2010 10:19 PM
bayman46:
Maybe it's not a problem for you because you may be white."

LOL! That's all I can muster for that one.
Written by: ElTorodeiCibao, 17 Jun 2010 10:23 PM
Nehesy:
"You're a witness so I can't deny what you're saying"

Chilidrino isn't a witness to anything, his personal observations of the DR and El Cibao specifically are truly limited as he is 15 years old and goes where his parents go (which is two towns).
Written by: ElTorodeiCibao, 17 Jun 2010 10:26 PM
bayman46,
"I recall the color of your skin(light or dark) dictates if you work in the FRONT or the BACK of that company. Whether it's a FRONT DESK CLERK job at a RESORT HOTEL, A FRONT BANK TELLER FOR A MAJOR BANK OR WORKING IN MAJOR DEPARTMENT STORE. You don't see dark complexion Dominicans up front. Yep racism exist not only in the U.S., but unfortunately in the Caribbeans."

Then why do I see plenty of dark skinned people behind the desks of said resorts all the time? Either way what you describe is COLORISM not RACISM.
Written by: hellborn25, 17 Jun 2010 11:35 PM
From: United States, New Jersey Home of the brave.
dominicans have black in them we know that but to say black is all that is its not correct and you know thats the truth ettiene.
Written by: mjsd82, 17 Jun 2010 11:36 PM
Just by the title of the article i knew the pro haitian afro rage committe were gonna flock the forum. what has this forum turned into?
Written by: ElChilindrino This user is banned, 17 Jun 2010 11:43 PM
ElToroDelCibao:

I've seen hundreds of videos, pictures and tours of almost every province and various sectors in el cibao, and except for a few exceptions, most people do not look like the image you try to convey. If the majority of Cibaenos were some sort of Quadroon, then the videos, news reports and photos done there should reflect this. Light skinned people are a minority, a significant one, but a minority. Most people in El Cibao have light brown skin. The problem is, you're basing the country off of dominicans in new york city, and completely ignore the ones who actually live there.

you can argue that i haven't visited most areas, but you guys also use extremely biased club photos to prove el cibao is white or light skinned mulatto, so i see no problem with me posting street shots, carnivals or random people hanging out at a colmado to prove my point. What's your argument towards this? are the light skinned mulatto majority hiding in some someplace that I don't know about?
Written by: ElChilindrino This user is banned, 17 Jun 2010 11:51 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Sabana Del Puerto
And I'm going to try to travel around the region next time I go to the DR, so what are you going to do when I realize that I'm right about El Cibao's demographics? I have all the proof I need by your logic, so are you just going to stay in denial?
Written by: ateo2010 This user is banned, 17 Jun 2010 11:52 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Owning Noobs
ElChilindrino, I don't know in what part of DR you being to, but every time I go to towns like Moca I swear to my life that I see people who are very light everywhere, not so tall but from very light brown to white. Most of them are mostly white and taino for sure, and Espaillat province is full of them everywhere, my grandmother from father's side is one of them she is short, euro-amerindian looking.
Written by: ElChilindrino This user is banned, 18 Jun 2010 12:06 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Sabana Del Puerto
You Dominican Yorks from San Jose de las Matas know nothing about the DR as a whole, just your farm. Most dominicans do not look indian, perhaps in San Jose, but NOT in the DR. Why can't you get that through your thick skulls? The only people who immigrate to the US are people from secluded mountain towns with populations as high as 500 people, travel around the damn country for pete's sake. you guys attack me because i supposedly havent visited any places besides bonao and the capital, when the vast majority of you have never left brooklyn nor your shack in San Jose. If I said dominicans were aryan quadroons and a-rod clones, noone would question my credibality. For every Alex Bueno you have like a bunch of these:

those are typical dominicans. you guys even say this yourself, all capitalenos and all people outside the central cibao are black, you are not helping your case.
Written by: ElChilindrino This user is banned, 18 Jun 2010 12:09 AM
Ateo:

That's the barrio you visited, not the majority of el cibao and probably not the majority of moca nor espaillat either. Let me guess, was this sector of Moca rural and on top of a mountain? Most Dominicans live in cities
Written by: ElChilindrino This user is banned, 18 Jun 2010 12:14 AM
Video filmed in La Vega carnival:

bonao carnival:

Moca:

Medium Skinned people, indios.
Written by: ateo2010 This user is banned, 18 Jun 2010 12:15 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Owning Noobs
ElChilindrino, that's El Seibo not at all in the Cibao region, and even those at the picture may have Taino ancestry as well..

look typical Mocanos from Espaillat .. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2721/4340254243_3bd65789d8_o.jpg

Written by: ElChilindrino This user is banned, 18 Jun 2010 12:25 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Sabana Del Puerto
Ateo, no. Not even the people who live there believe that. Stop posting club photos
Written by: ElChilindrino This user is banned, 18 Jun 2010 12:27 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Sabana Del Puerto
Now posting pictures of dominican yorks? Why are you so scared to post a street crowd shot of Moca? and LOL, did you blur the third picture yourself to hide the dark skinned people, that appear to have been blurred out?
Written by: ateo2010 This user is banned, 18 Jun 2010 12:30 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Owning Noobs
no chilindrino I'm not a freak like you, and I don't waist my time blurring pictures .. and yes those people i saw where both from rural mountains and inside the town is where i saw the most, many light skinned people, of all different shapes and sizes, common Mocanos. Is a very tri-racial city, predominantly light brown to white skinned.

Written by: ElChilindrino This user is banned, 18 Jun 2010 12:35 AM
Moca:

most people are medium toned
Written by: ElChilindrino This user is banned, 18 Jun 2010 12:38 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Sabana Del Puerto
most of the people you posted are NOT light skinned, nor do they look white. i obviously shouldnt even take your standards for what's light skinned seriously, especially considering the fact that you consider yourself to be white despite having the skin tone of a paper bag
Written by: ateo2010 This user is banned, 18 Jun 2010 12:55 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Owning Noobs
chilindrino, your obsess with making others what they aren't , you never being to Moca, I have specially since part of my family comes from there. I know what I seen period. and paper bag skin tone? you gotta be blind, well maybe when I get a tan I get "paper bag color".. But stop changing the topic and comparing people because you won't do anything to change the facts...
Written by: Tu_Papa, 18 Jun 2010 5:08 AM
From: United States, Yonkers, New Yorker... Confident Talker!!!
LLEGO TU PAPA!!!

What it seriously comes down to is the BLACK dominicans being proud to be DARK and the WHITE domincans proud to be LIGHT... The blacks just need to stop trying to prove to a light skinned Dominican that he or she is BLACK when they are cleary not. The light Dominicans dont try to brainwash the BLACK Dominicans by saying " your really white in the inside" the way the blacks try to point out that they have African blood in them so they are really black not white. If your dark your dark and if your light your light and if you are in between you are in between. IF YOUR REALLY HAITIAN THEN YOUR HAITIAN AND STOP TRYING TO CONVINCE DOMINICANS THAT THEY ARE HAITIANS CAUSE THEY ARE NOT. Yaaaaaaa!!!!
Written by: ElChilindrino This user is banned, 18 Jun 2010 6:42 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Sabana Del Puerto
Ateo what facts? Your pictures prove exactly my point, most Cibaenos are not white or light skinned triracials. in most of your pictures, there are some 3 or 4 light skinned people out of a crowd full of medium skinned triracials.

and your skin is light brown and you don't look anything like a light skinned mulatto and neither do most people in El Cibao let alone the DR. For every Cibaeno that looks like this:

You get like 6 others like this:

Even the Cibaenos I see in new york city tend to have medium skin and straight/wavy hair, Quadroon and White Dominicans aren't the most common site outside of school.

Written by: mjsd82, 18 Jun 2010 7:03 AM
cual es tu sofoce, se van a volver loco classificando a los dominicanos? Papa, el blanco es blanco y el negro es negro, el clarito es clarito. yo ahora mismo estoy de vaciones en santo domingo y aqui ahi un tro de blanco igual como ahi negrito, pero dejen ese coro que tienen. aqui ahi domincanos que suenan como haitiano trantando de metele lo de negro a la gente a la mala.
Written by: mjsd82, 18 Jun 2010 7:08 AM
@ tu_papa, you hit the nail in the right place.
Written by: etiennc01, 18 Jun 2010 8:13 AM
:Amazing Grace"
This article was meant to domesticate the wild and rebel mind so it can become humble and shed layers of misinformations that have made it behave like a bigot parahiah and become the butt of the ethnic jokes.
In plain English " 70% of Dominicans are distant relatives of Haitians, deal with it !
Written by: telemeco, 18 Jun 2010 8:21 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Monte Plata
@Ateo,,,

Lazy gene, the african no the spanish,,,jajaja,, you dont say with 70% african decent,,,you hit the nail in the head.
Written by: PatDiamond, 18 Jun 2010 8:32 AM
From: Botswana, La reconnaissance est une lachete'
117 posts and counting, clowns posting pictures of what in the real world( not Dominican make belief mind) of brown people and claiming those are whites ( Anglosaxon) light skin Negros swearing they are not blacks( Africans) yes my Dominican brethrens (ateo, Mirabela and the rest of the gang) the world is laughing at you, not with you. The 1million $ question is do you know the difference?
Written by: Lautaro, 18 Jun 2010 9:03 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Bring DT Forum Back
nvm
Written by: ateo2010 This user is banned, 18 Jun 2010 9:46 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Owning Noobs
Chilindrino,
you idiot, when in the world did I said all Cibaeños look white?, and yes you never being to all of DR I have mostly being everywhere, and I know where are all the different groups of skin colors. even in the south you will find medium skin lighted people with strong taino ancestry not even european or african. and by the way you stupid blind idiot, this is me last year while in Santo Domingo's metro, it was summer so I got a pretty strong tan, this is really how I get when I have a tan maybe a bit darker that's all.

[URL=http://img706.imageshack.us/i/31299402612015212683485.jpg/][IMG]]

I think chilindrino was mentally raped by some afrocentric haitian or something.. in New york ..
Written by: old_school_trinitario, 18 Jun 2010 10:15 AM
From: Dominican Republic, San Carlos, barrio de matatanes, aqui no invente

mjsd82
pro haitian afro rage committe

around here we call them the afro-lambon crew

Afro because they show up in force everytime there is an article in DT about dominicans skin color or dominican genes to argue their blackness is important.

Lambones because as much as they continue to spit, piss and shitz on DR name and people they seen to be glued to quisqueya.

The afro-lambon don't understand that the only gene i have in my chiseled body is 100% dominican, and i know dominican is not a race or a gene but is my way of life, is my culture and it is my pride.

el afro-lambon no entiende eso, ellos estan mas interesados en hablar del color de la piel o tu adn africano, como diciendo TE LO DIJE QUE TU ERES NEGRO creen que de repente eso te va a cambiar tu estilo de vida,nunca pueden emancipar esa esclavitud mental que solo se supera cuando el individuo reconoce tenerla.

Written by: Nehesy, 18 Jun 2010 11:13 AM
From: France, London / Paris
One racist donkey said that Haitians had 100 % african in them...so what ?

Where is the shame or proudness to be 100 % African , chinese, European or whatever ?

Being Black, white, indian or whatever is just a matter of unknown circumstances because nobody chooses his ancestry and GOD almighty loves ALL his children..

Some people should pay themselves a return ticket to visit Africa and they'll be surprised.

Two weeks ago I met in my plane a group of 15 mexican girls , they said to me that they were going in Africa for some vacation and also to discover new cultures.

The funny thing is LOT OF AFRICANS do have the so called African-Taino-European , phenotype and they are 100 % Africans.

You have the Fulanis, The Amharics, The Bambaras, The Akans, The Touaregs, The moors of Mauritania etc;

Being ignorant when you call yourself "ELPROFE" is a pity , specially when Cuba is full of "100 %africans" like in Haiti ( I visited all the western side of cuba...)
Written by: etiennc01, 18 Jun 2010 12:05 PM
old school trinitario
long for the old days when a Haitian lunatic would deny his Haitian encestry, use white powder to lighiten his skin and unleash his brutal rage at his own people and at Haitians.
"Laisser rouler les bons vieux temps"
Written by: etiennc01, 18 Jun 2010 12:05 PM
old school trinitario
"Laisser rouler les bons vieux temps"
Written by: ElTorodeiCibao, 18 Jun 2010 1:24 PM
To respond to an exceptionally stupid comment about or by Chilidrino is one thing, but to continue in a "tit for tat" match with him is nothing short of stupidity.

The kid clearly stated he obsessively looks for pictures and video online as his reference. That's all you need to know about him.

As for calling anyone, or myself in particular, a "Dominican York" learn what the idiotic phrase means first. I'm not some ghetto, drug dealing, gang banger. I am Dominican, American, Dominican American but never a Dominican York.
Written by: pleasuretour, 18 Jun 2010 4:00 PM
Daam

and I thought Americans were f'd up about race.

Y'all need to break for a Presidente or two

"can't we all ...just get along?"
Written by: mjsd82, 18 Jun 2010 4:52 PM
@ old school trinitatio.... you're right // bitterness drives them crazy.
Written by: cantave, 19 Jun 2010 8:44 PM
From: United States, !<82ndAbd>!Lt.Tigah>Fort Bragg>North Carolina, U.S>Platoon Leader>Tactical Hardcore.
Dominican Taino????????
and then yall wake up.

Dominicans have created a myriad of names - morena (brown), india (indian), blanca oscura (dark white), trigueño (wheat colored) - to avoid referring to themselves as black.

To all black Dominicans (70%)

Be black and proud.

Semper Fidelis.......................
Written by: ElTorodeiCibao, 19 Jun 2010 9:00 PM
cantave, you obviously do not grasp the material presented before you. Take your "one dropism" elsewhere because we're not discussing African ancestry here, but TAINO ancestry that has been found and documented amongst certain segments of the Dominican population (I am of that segment and have been genetically tested).
Written by: mjsd82, 20 Jun 2010 5:25 AM
cantave, why are you in this forum?? can haitians get DR out of their minds for once? ......... black dominicans 70% ?? LOL you're funny, im in DR right now and it don't look that way to me. these people are far from DR but they think they know the ethnicity of dominicans. what a bunch of lambones LMAO.
Written by: ElTorodeiCibao, 20 Jun 2010 11:07 AM
mjsd82,

The confusion has arisen in that laymen don't understand that 70% African MITOCHONDRIAL DNA or mtDNA is just a portion of your ancestry, as you must combine mtDNA (maternal genes) with your yDNA (paternal genes) to receive the full picture of your genetic ancestry. So 70% African mtDNA does not mean 70% of Dominicans are of purely African descent, but of partial African descent to varying degrees (as 90% of the Dominican populace has African genetic contribution from very small to very large amounts).
Written by: old_school_trinitario, 21 Jun 2010 9:53 AM
From: Dominican Republic, San Carlos, barrio de matatanes, aqui no invente

Cantave el afro-lambon now has tagged the words Morena, Trigueño and Indio
as dominicans creations to avoid calling ourselves black.

as much as i like to take credict for that one everybody knows that those terms are widely used in all latin america and is hard to pin point its origins.

samper lambonis
Written by: Bluetiful, 26 Jun 2010 1:20 AM
So what if 70% have African origin? What's wrong with that? Why are you people so uptight about African influence in DR? I don't understand what the big deal is. At the end of the day, we're all HUMANS. Screw skin color, we all have a pair of eyes, pair of hands/arms, legs, wtf..get over the racist mentality. It's 2010 not 1810. And I'm sick and tired of people telling me I don't "look" Dominican just because I have Indian (from India) ancestry.

Last time I checked Dominican was a nationality, not a damn race. Stupid ignorant ppl. I'm American, ethnicity is Dominican (both parents are born there) & I am proud to represent all three "common" races, Asian, black & white. In the end though, screw what you ignorant people think of me, you're no better than me. At the end of the day we're all human.

P.S. when it comes to anthropology, race is defined by the shape of your skull, your teeth among other features, NOT SKIN COLOR, morons. When you DIE your skin color is pretty much IRRELEV
Written by: bayman46, 26 Jun 2010 3:23 AM
Well said "Bluetiful", I totally agree with everything you said. The reason why so many are uptight is, because they don't want to accept the 70% African Origin in there blood. Being a Black American that have lived and worked in Santo Domingo and senitive to our own "Racial Problems" in the United States.
I was very surprise to learn how small minded, some in D.R. and other Caribbean Nations are when it comes to "SKIN COLOR AND RACE." We all know, that Dominican People are a mixer of several blood line which makes them a beautiful color of people. Accept this and move on.
Written by: DrPDNA, 27 Jun 2010 9:06 PM
This study by Dr Juan Carlos is quite useful for Dominican society, because it could assist forensic work. When nuclear DNA cannot be obtained, indigenous mitochondrial DNA can be useful in solving missing persons or settling immigration matters, but this technique is not a unique forensic identifier.

Further information on this topic can be found from the book "Errors, Systematic Errors & DNA"
Written by: Taino809, 11 Oct 2011 11:31 PM
From: United States, Weston
We all need to embrace our taino culture and teach our children so that our legacy lives on. DNA or not our costumbres tell the real truth. I say "If you feel Taino then you probably are".