Santo Domingo.– The JetAirFly Boeing 787-800 landed on Sunday at Las Americas International Airpor. Staff from Aerodom, Dominican Swissport and other agencies received the flight 703 from Brussels with 208 passengers on board.

The popular Boeing 787-800 Dreamliner from JetAirFly will land every Sunday until March 23, 2014, as part of the Brussels-Santo Domingo route.

The 787 is currently the most modern aircraft because it’s carbon fiber, which means its fuel economy is enormous, 25 or 30 percent more efficient than other planes; almost no noise inside, the pressurization is much better than a normal aircraft.

COMMENTS
Written by: JHCL2016, 30 Dec 2013 3:05 PM
From: United States, EN PUNTA CANA: Jose H Con Leonel 2016!

Dear Dreamliner,

Thanks from bringing more dolares y euros to Dominican Republic, expecting many more...

Can't even place an ant in Punta Cana... 120% occupancy!!!

8-)
Written by: danny00, 30 Dec 2013 4:33 PM
From: United States, Old Westbury Long Island
SH---every hotel is Sold Out for the Xmas and New Years over here in the Beautiful Florida Keys...and the Millions of Tourists that are here and more coming they Aren't looking for cheap rooms or Food..it's expensive down here.. We send the cheap ones over to PC....This year the State of Florida Had over 100 Million Tourists Now that's the Way to do Baby Girl... Lol...Suckers
Written by: danny00, 30 Dec 2013 4:36 PM
From: United States, Old Westbury Long Island
Eat your Hearth out JHCL2014...where the FU----is the 911 it's Dec?....Lol Jack
Written by: danny00, 30 Dec 2013 4:38 PM
From: United States, Old Westbury Long Island
100 Million man I need to get more Boats for my Business.100 Million can u count that High? Lol
Written by: walnut, 30 Dec 2013 6:50 PM
From: Dominican Republic, La Romana
Dear danny00
Your idyllic Key West made the news recently with a elderly Canadian tourist being asphyxiated to death at the hands of the police.
Whoops, must have missed that one.

Every place has its garbage.
Nowhere is perfect.

I do enjoy some of your commentary. Usually brings a smile.
Written by: jose_NYC, 30 Dec 2013 6:59 PM
From: United States, Brooklyn, NY - Santo Domingo, DR
Danny how many were there in Haiti, jamaica, trinidad or any other rock in the caribbean. Hater get a life and let dominicans be. So much hate for this country and your black racist anti dominican ass practically live in DT.
Written by: dreadlocks, 30 Dec 2013 8:04 PM
joseNYC; don't tell me that you really want to start another of the DR/ other caribbean country comparisons. don't get me started.
Written by: DONT_BE_SILENT, 30 Dec 2013 8:42 PM
From: Dominican Republic, NEVER FORGOTTEN, NOR FORSAKEN!
Please be my guess Clot boy!
Written by: dreadlocks, 31 Dec 2013 7:58 AM
says DONT BE SILENT

Written by: DONT_BE_SILENT, 30 Dec 2013 8:42 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Never forgotten, never forsaken. 168-13 IRREVOCABLE.
Please be my guess Clot boy!

I will be ready when Jose fires the first shot. or do you want to start?
Written by: JHCL2016, 31 Dec 2013 8:22 AM
From: United States, EN PUNTA CANA: Jose H Con Leonel 2016!

Little DR just need and can only host 5 to 15 millions; more than enough... no need for hundreds.

(';*)

Otro abolla'o!
Written by: dreadlocks, 31 Dec 2013 9:00 AM
JHCL, if you believe that the DR can host 15 million tourists per year, then you are delusional.
Written by: JHCL2016, 31 Dec 2013 10:53 AM
From: United States, EN PUNTA CANA: Jose H Con Leonel 2016!

* work in progress.... goals... new hotels, new roads, more and new investments, new government incentives... welcome 15 million turistas

Some folks just don't get it...

( ';* )
Written by: dreadlocks, 31 Dec 2013 11:01 AM
you are the one who does not get it. there are limits to the carrying capacity of any human location. simple building larger structures does not create that state. you can only expand to a certain point before the Law of Diminishing Returns comes into play.

some people just do not get it.
Written by: Atabey, 31 Dec 2013 11:35 AM
From: United States, Bring DT Forum Back--
Dready,

You see no possibilité that DR could ever attract 15 million tourists?

Written by: dreadlocks, 31 Dec 2013 12:26 PM
it would lead to extremes of diminishing returns. attracting people is one thing; providing service of acceptable quality is the other. the reasons why tourism destinations fail is that they exceed carrying capacity, and the quality of the product declines. look at what happened to POP.

my friend owns a night club in Toronto. he has said to me that he does far better when he has 150 customers than when he has 300. people visit the bar far more frequently when it is easier to walk around, and find the spot you were in when you get back from the bar. when there are too many people, everybody nurses their drink, because they do not need the hassle of trying to get to the bartender. that is just one example of diminishing returns/
Written by: JHCL2016, 31 Dec 2013 1:43 PM
From: United States, EN PUNTA CANA: Jose H Con Leonel 2016!

Sure, in a mass related market less is better!!! Jejeje, this one jumped earlier on his Brugal... Like if the DR is dealing with only one resort owner/chain... Many of them, all getting the ideal share of customers (15 millions divided by that magic number)...

( ';*)

Suelta esa botella!
Written by: Atabey, 31 Dec 2013 1:55 PM
From: United States, Bring DT Forum Back--

Well dready I can see where in a confined space, a bar, some diminishing returns might be the rule, but the DR has all but to increase the qualité and quantité of its staffing, build more and better accommodations, build the infraestructura out and stay competitively priced and far greater arrivals will come.

Tall challenges, but not insurmontable ones.

Written by: DRmaker, 31 Dec 2013 3:36 PM
From: Canada, North Coast DR
Atabey:

"the DR has all but to increase the qualité and quantité of its staffing"

In my experience, quality of staffing is not a problem. I have stayed at resorts in Punta Cana/Bavaro, Playa Dorada, and Sosúa, and have found that resort front desk personnel are very competent and professional in their dealings with clients (not always easy to do considering some of the A$$hole clients they have to deal with).

The only big problem I have had in the DR is the one time I stayed at Playa Dorada in 2004. I was staying at the resort formerly called Playa Naco. After check-in the porter took me to my room. When he unlocked the door we found that the room was occupied. I went back to the front desk and told the customer service rep that I wanted another room because the one assigned to me was occupied (cont.)

Written by: DRmaker, 31 Dec 2013 3:55 PM
From: Canada, North Coast DR
So the customer service rep tells me that I have to stay in that room because it was assigned to me. I was thinking "WTF is going on here". This guy didn't seem to comprehend that I did not want to stay in a room with strangers.

So I tell him "There are already people in this room, I am not staying in a room with people that I don't know (LOL), I would like you to assign me to a vacant room". So he assigned me to another room.

And the rest of my stay was very good. I remember going to a restaurant at the resort for a beer and a snack and one of the workers said to me "smile amigo, you are on vacation".

Written by: Atabey, 31 Dec 2013 4:02 PM
From: United States, Bring DT Forum Back--

"Any concerns I have had have always been dealt with professionally and promptly by the front desk personnel."

"One thing I can say is that most of the staff (housekeepers, bartenders and waiter/bus personnel) that I have encountered in my stays in the DR have been very pleasant and friendly."

95% Spot on. Took the words out of my mouth. I still find not enough English speaking staff. Again, it's about good investment in training and providing basic educational opportunities by the State.

Written by: jose_NYC, 31 Dec 2013 5:16 PM
From: United States, Brooklyn, NY - Santo Domingo, DR
Ok dread im firing back, tell me what other rock in the caribbean can be self sufficient aside DR and Cuba. And which one is landing more tourist than DR.
Written by: jose_NYC, 31 Dec 2013 5:19 PM
From: United States, Brooklyn, NY - Santo Domingo, DR
Just santo domingo's population is larger than all of this islands south of PR, aside from oil we make enough to feed our own and the whole caribbean and still sale something to europe and the usa.
Written by: dreadlocks, 31 Dec 2013 7:15 PM
well, jose, you can be self sufficient in food, but you are not. you still have the highest percentage of people suffering from hunger and malnutrition than any other country in the region, beside Haiti. as far as landing tourists; you have a country that is 4 times the size of Jamaica, and you get twice as many tourists. secondly, Jamaica owns hotel chains like Sandals and Superclubs. hotel chains own you.

and you can start bragging about the landing of the Dreamliner when a Dominican pilot flies it. ask Etihad and Emirates how many Jamaicans are flying for them, including those flying their A380.

your turn...
Written by: JHCL2016, 1 Jan 2014 11:21 AM
From: United States, EN PUNTA CANA: Jose H Con Leonel 2016!

Someone is babling about an A380?

Aerolínea rusa Transaero destinará sus primeros A380 para volar a Barcelona y Punta Cana

puntacana-bavaro.com/index.php/noticias/item/2483-aerolinea-rusa-transaero-destinara-sus-primeros-a380-para-volar-a-barcelona-y-punta-cana

"a country that is 4 times the size of Jamaica, and you get twice as many tourists"

Just a reminder, regarding tourism, the Dominican Republic is relatively the NEW KID IN THE BLOCK in the Caribbean. In a short time, It left the OTHER ISLANDS in the dust.

Deep bottom, WE WANT the entire region to do great, thus it seems the other islands play a dirty game regarding the Dominican Republic; seems like they are very afraid of its potential.

If my only living is tourism in the Caribbean, I would be "afraid" too!!!

Happy New Year...

8-)

Danilo en la cima * Leonel 2016!
Written by: dreadlocks, 1 Jan 2014 1:11 PM
JHCL, you have left nobody in the dust. tourism is sectoral. the DR gets the low budget all inclusive crowd. it is way bigger than the other islands, so it will get the most tourists, because it caters to a poorer demographic. in terms of rich tourists and luxury tourism, it has not left Cayman, Turks, Antigua, and St Barts in the dust. and in no way has it left Jamaica in the dust. the fact that it has more hotel space and gets more tourists is only part of the equation. creativity, innovation, service, and other factors, make up the package. how many international hotel chains do you own?
Written by: dreadlocks, 1 Jan 2014 1:12 PM
by the way, what dirty game do the other islands play? afraid of potential? do you think that the guys who developed all inclusive are afraid of anyone?
Written by: Atabey, 1 Jan 2014 6:41 PM
From: United States, Bring DT Forum Back--
Well dready,

One does find some publications where the DR is not represented in the same fashion as the rest of the Caribbean. I've understood it to be a form of English Caribbean bias against the Spanish Caribbean, although I often do see far more references and space for PR and even Cuba. DR for whatever reason is often slighted. Sometimes you press DR and Dominica appears!

Up until 10 or so years ago, it was not surprising to read newspaper articles on tourism in the Caribbean and have no mention of the DR. A bias there is.

Written by: dreadlocks, 2 Jan 2014 6:54 AM
there is no bias, as you might choose to believe. the DR entered the tourism sweepstakes in 1970. it made rapid strides in numbers, because of the rapid introduction of resources and capital. however, the quality of the product did not approach that of other countries that had been at it for longer periods. there is no such thing as review bias. you get what you pay for. each rating company, such as Tripadvisor, is a business. you get from them what you pay into them. spend good money, you get good rankings. there are ratings organizations which give high ranking to Punta Cana resorts, while others don't list them.
Written by: Atabey, 2 Jan 2014 2:08 PM
From: United States, Bring DT Forum Back--

Dready,

I'm talking in part about newspapers in NYC, where a sizable population of Dominicans began arriving since the 1960s! This was before the advent of the tourist model got underway in DR under Balaguer.

I've often viewed it as basically a language issue but there is no doubt that some of the bias was from perceived competitive pressure from such a large entrant into the area.

The smaller islanders have always had a somewhat bias attitude towards the big islands of the Caribbean.

The "confusion" over "Dominica" and "Dominican Republic" is still encountered in some publications. And if you look at the number of articles regarding the larger islands, DR often gets far lower numbers of articles than even Cuba. Again, this would not be an interesting note, but for the fact that it takes place WITHIN the tourist sector; a sector where DR has made/had by far the greatest impact among all the other Caribbean nations from the 1970 until today.

There is a bias.

Written by: dreadlocks, 2 Jan 2014 3:49 PM
says Atabey

Dominicans arriving in NYC do not constitute Dominican tourism. before 1970, more Dominicans visited foreign countries than foreigners visited the DR. what is the bias there?
Written by: dreadlocks, 2 Jan 2014 3:53 PM
says Atabey

Written by: Atabey, 2 Jan 2014 6:33 PM
From: United States, Bring DT Forum Back--
Written by: dreadlocks,

says Atabey

The bias was in the NYC reporting of possible tourist travel locations. The DR for whatever reason was often slighted. Again, Dominicans began arriving in large numbers from the mid-1960s on. Their lack of English language skills & the common English language that favored those Anglo Caribbeans may have been the source of the bias. It took Dominicans some time to be recognized in NYC. It was far easier (Language) and since the Anglo Caribbeans had arrived earlier, 20-30, years before Dominicans, the print media and other sources acknowledged their locations
Written by: Atabey, 2 Jan 2014 6:41 PM
From: United States, Bring DT Forum Back--
dreadlocks,

says Atabey

greatest impact in respect to what? which country brought the all inclusive to the caribbean? that is the most impactful development in the caribbean, be it for bad or worse."

By greatest impact, I'm referring to the fact that more hotel capacity went up in DR than in any other island in the Caribbean during that period.

"In 1990,CARICOM countries had a 34% share of international visitors to the Caribbean. By 2000, this share had decreased to 28% and it declined even further to 22% in 2011. ...The big gainers of Caribbean market share are Cuba, whose share increased from 3% in 1990 to 13% in 2011, and the Dominican Republic whose share increased from 11% to 21%"-By Professor Compton Bourne Director Caribbean Centre for Money and Finance

Again, from 1970-1990, DR was growing fastest
Written by: dreadlocks, 2 Jan 2014 7:09 PM
yes, the increase is a positive reality, but what happened in POP is an indicator that numbers aren't everything.