Santo Domingo.– Police chief Manuel Castro Castillo yesterday decided to strengthen security in the resort town of Boca Chica with the inclusion of 50 new agents, five motorbikes, four vehicles and a truck, as well as modern communication equipment.

Tourism Security Agency (Cestur) chief Amilcar Fernandez said the security in that resort town has been reinforced since last week with the enlisting of 60 new members.

The measure aims to reduce violent incidents and crime, and also comes after Boca Chica merchants, residents and tourists complained of soaring thefts and assaults in the area.

"These are isolated incidents. Crime is controlled here, and the police are patrolling and doing their job," said Castro Castillo.

COMMENTS
Written by: ramapo13, 18 Jan 2014 1:17 PM
As to thefts and assaults....." These are isolated instances. Crime is controlled here...." Says the Chief as he adds an additional 50 new officers, five motorbikes, four vehicles and a truck to combat the non-existent crime. Something doesn't add up!
Written by: DaveB, 18 Jan 2014 2:23 PM
Being unable to walk even two meters down the Main Street in Boca Chica during my one visit, without having the criminal locals trying to crawl into my every crevice, I have advised every tourist I've encountered to just pass this place by.
Written by: walnut, 18 Jan 2014 2:43 PM
From: Dominican Republic, La Romana
Been a cesspool for years.
Only folks there are by mistake or want to be.
Not for the "Accidental Tourist", unless the accident is being assaulted.
Written by: danny00, 18 Jan 2014 2:58 PM
From: United States, Old Westbury Long Island
Thank God now I can sleep well at night if I have any problems I'm going to call 911 if no answer then I'm going to call 912-913-914 if no answer I'm getting the FU---- out of here... and I'm not taking the Choo Choo Train....Lol Lol Lol...What a great show u guys put on for the Rest of the World where all Laughing Lady's .....thought the 911 was going to be Ready in Dec?....Lol
Written by: danny00, 18 Jan 2014 3:17 PM
From: United States, Old Westbury Long Island
Hello 911 I'm at the Airport in Santo Domingo and there are like 35 police men taking down the Security Fence that goes around the Airport and putting it into a Truck it's looks like there is one "General" that is behind the Wheel.... Can u send help please...What your to busy now I can't believe that I'm not going to call u any more.Lol Lol 911 my A---
Written by: riosm, 18 Jan 2014 8:49 PM
Really….last Nov. while on vacation in Boca Chica at the BelleVue Dominican Bay twice we heard rapid 6-7 gunshots in the early hours of the morning from a distance. We were also advised by the private security not to go into Boca Chica at night.
Written by: zooma, 19 Jan 2014 8:42 AM
From: United States, and Dominican Republic

One can place as many police and suppport equipment into the area as possible. Previous similar attempts to do so have always resulted with the criminal element activities hindered but not eliminated. The gov't cannot hide the tarnish with a new coat of paint. It needs to demolish and rebuild to rid the rot of criminal mold. Unfortunately, the cycle will continue and the good people of Boca Chica suffer through it.

Written by: Mike36, 19 Jan 2014 9:11 AM
From: Haiti
Haiti will take over dr business real soon watch dr don't have no history
Written by: zooma, 19 Jan 2014 9:55 AM
From: United States, and Dominican Republic

per Mike36 "Haiti will take over dr business real soon watch dr don't have no history "

Your comment has as much purpose as tits on a bull. Please arrive with a lucid mention about the security of Boca Chica.

Written by: VeronicaDR, 19 Jan 2014 11:09 AM
Sending in 50 more criminals to shake down whatever tourists are left? Great job. This is what happens when the people in charge are completely uneducated idiots. We need a complete military and police clean up from the top down. Until we get our corruption problem at least under control none of these problems are ever going away and things will keep getting worse.
Written by: Danilo, 19 Jan 2014 2:23 PM
From: Dominican Republic, SDQ --- Support the repatriation to Africa by CARICOM: www.is.gd/cominghome
I don't know how the italians love this place and its chicas so much. This is not a resort town, it's a slum that happens to be next to a nice beach.
Written by: riosm, 19 Jan 2014 3:54 PM
Danilo
I agree 100%, you forgot to include the Germans. When I went back for the first time in 1970 since 1963 Boca Chica was beautiful…NO MORE. My Dad would tell me stories when he was a kid during the early 1940's.