M. Vargas and L. Fernandez in the hug of controversy.

Santo Domingo.- Despite the two years since the May 2012 election and two away from the polls of 2016, the country’s political competition hasn’t ceased and the issue tops the public agenda, roiled by the split in Dominican Republic’s opposition party (PRD), the avalanche of hopefuls in the ruling party (PLD), the internal revamp of the three major organizations and civil society’s involvement.

The Central Electoral Board (JCE) claims a lack of jurisdiction to regulate politicking, arguing that doing so would violate several basic rights such as freedom of assembly and expression.

There’re no new faces in the political arena that could pose a challenge to former presidents Leonel Fernández and Hipolito Mejia, PRD president Miguel Vargas, former vice presidential candidate Luis Abinader and president Danilo Medina.

Despite Fernandez’s recent comments that a fourth bid “depends on how the winds blow” few doubt that he’s on the inside track to again obtain the PLD’s presidential candidacy

That fact has forced the opposition to point all its cannons at Fernandez, revealing their fear of the three-term president, and despite the latest Gallup survey released in September giving him 15% among the PLD’s candidates, far behind Medina, who cannot seek reelection.

Major party hopefuls

Among those who’ve thrown their hat in the political ring thus far figure Senate president Reinaldo Pared, Tourism minister Francisco Javier García, Economy minister Temistocles Montas and Radhames Segura, a member of its top echelon, the Political Committee.

In addition to Vargas, Mejia and Abinader, the PRD the hopefuls also include Guido Gomez Mazara and Geanilda Vazquez.

COMMENTS
Written by: josean, 8 May 2014 8:44 AM
From: United States, Fighting the Dictatorship of the Narco PLD Mafia; Guillermo Moreno President 2016

Guillermo Moreno 2016!

Written by: BASTA, 8 May 2014 9:53 AM
From: Dominican Republic, =Ghetto/Legalize Drugs/Free abortions for all Never Confuse Education with Intelligence
Frick and Frack!
Written by: juanb, 8 May 2014 10:00 AM

Looks like a picture of two thieves, each trying to prevent the other from picking his pocket.
Written by: DONT_BE_SILENT, 8 May 2014 10:09 AM
From: Dominican Republic, NEVER FORGOTTEN, NOR FORSAKEN!
Everytime I see LF picture I just wanna puke.

...and Miguel Narga is such a loser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Written by: josean, 8 May 2014 10:26 AM

D_B_S,

Finally we agree 1,000%!

Written by: Radar, 8 May 2014 11:14 AM

None of these clowns can possibly live up to the level of competence and hard work that Medina has shown, thus far.
It's almost an 100% consensus of the citizenry that Medina should continue on as our president.
I have family, friends, and acquaintances of all social and economic levels who think the same and will fight to reelect Medina, constitutional directive, notwithstanding.
We will hold a plesbecite to keep a good man working on the path to educate, grow our economy, --and when the time comes-- sweep up government free of the innately corrupt, and other thieving sub-humans whose sole intent is of enriching themselves off the back of our hard-working poor.

No sir, let these motherfruckers dream on usurping the presidency and of raping our motherland.
There's no way any one of us will ever vote for these monkeys.
Times have changed. We have seen the light of progress and of a pluralistic government in Medina, and in no way we'll ever settle for less. Go, Yeni.!!
Written by: guillermone, 8 May 2014 11:18 AM

What a shame that the Dominican people have such a poor selection of candidates. The choices are Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, Dumb and Dumber and from bad to less bad, worse to far worse.

Written by: josean, 8 May 2014 1:29 PM

"and when the time comes-- sweep up government free of the innately corrupt"

.........and that's his Achilles heel, he has done NOTHING against corruption!

........with nearly a 100% support as you claim what the hell is he waiting for?

Written by: originalmrb, 8 May 2014 1:35 PM
From: Canada, Ontario

@ Juanb =>

Hey fella!.... Next time, warn me before you say something so funny. I nearly spit my coffee across my desk.

That's exactly what that photo looks like. Well Done !!!
Written by: josean, 8 May 2014 1:42 PM

"I am not so sure about Guillermo Moreno, I have my doubts. I like his name and correct me if I am wrong, but does he not seem to be pro-Haitian with an island fusion agenda under his sleeve?"

.......if you're looking for Final Solution type candidate like "BICHO" Castillo he is not for you!

Written by: guillermone, 8 May 2014 2:20 PM
".......if you're looking for Final Silution type candidate like "BICHO" Castillo he is not for you!"

Now which Bicho are you talking about? Is that a big bicho or small bicho? Are you talking about a Pto Rican Bicho or Dominican bicho?

And a final solution about what exactly?

Written by: josean, 8 May 2014 3:56 PM

.....I couldn't help because you are very familar with ALL types of BICHOS!

Written by: guillermone, 8 May 2014 4:11 PM

Written by: josean, 8 May 2014 3:56 PM
from: United States, Fighting the Dictatorship of the Narco PLD Mafia; Guillermo Moreno President 2016

.....I couldn't help because you are very familar with ALL types of BICHOS!
______________________________________________________________________

You could have fooled the hell out of me. I really thought you were a BICHOS expert. But I guess that I was wrong.
Written by: josean, 8 May 2014 4:16 PM

"But I guess that I was wrong."

You are WRONG one most everything else, why should this be any different!

Written by: ohhhvictor, 9 May 2014 10:50 AM

Dont feed the troll

=====================

Ignore Joseano !
Written by: josean, 9 May 2014 11:01 AM

Please Feed Ms. Vickey the Troll obsessed with josean!

.........this is the ONLY place where she gets attention in her life........

.........it will be a humanitarian act!