Dysfunctional?

Santo Domingo.- National Police chief Manuel Castro on Wed. called on the Justice Ministry and the Judicial Branch to do their part once a person charged with a crime is arrested.

He affirmed that the Police have arrested and charged more than 20,000 criminals just this year, "but they get released quickly and continue committing crimes on the streets."

"The National Police is working, conducting confiscation and taking recognized criminals. to Justice…the other institutions should do their corresponding part, play their role," the official said.

Castro’s complaint comes amid a backdrop of widespread public concern with rampant crimes, especially murders linked to hired killers across the country.

COMMENTS
Written by: laman00, 3 Jul 2014 11:40 AM
From: United States, Los Angeles CA
Yes do your job exactly starting from your own department!!
Written by: bernies, 3 Jul 2014 11:49 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Juan Dolio
Because the prosecutors and the judges get pay by the criminals and then get released without expending a day in prison.
Written by: Ricardolito, 3 Jul 2014 12:04 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Zona Colonial
Already this week we can see the problem that exists here in the DR .Yesterday or the day before was a plea by the police and fiscalia for more resources to undertake investigations and collect evidence and now the police are saying that they want the courts to put people away although the police have not provided the fiscalia with sufficient evidence to get a conviction . There are so many people in the prisons waiting a court sentance.more than 21,000, and the hold up is the police have not provided the prosecutor with evidence and so in any other country it would be a very clear case of habeus corpus and the prisoner would be released.
On the other hand ,there are certain criminals that the police know have committed serious crimes and desperately want behind bars , and that is where they should be , but there is still lack of evidence.
Every night in two cities I know of the police go out in groups to the homes of known delinquents and force them to hand over telephones etc
Written by: Ricardolito, 3 Jul 2014 12:06 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Zona Colonial
cont that have been stolen during attacks but there are no arrests because in these cases the police can make money . The Police chief has to straighten out his own department which will be almost impossible because the very low pay means the uneducated join the police force
Written by: jaws1, 3 Jul 2014 4:21 PM
There is no point blaming the police when the problem exist within the Penal Law albeit the police are ambivalent to such crimes for the reason the thieves escape justice. Having had first hand experience of being robbed and substantial damage caused to property, the robbers were apprehended. To instigate any ligation the victim has to issue a Querella against the imputados, which necessitates the services of the abogados at considerable expense after already having lost a great deal of money and faced with lengthy legal process. The imputados are are provided free representation of the abogados.
The moral of the story is that if any justice is required the person who has been robbed has to spend several thousand pesos with no recompense in the end other than some satisfaction of seeing the robbers in prison. This is not justice when a person has to pay to see justice done. In majority of countries it is the responsibility of the State but not in Dominican Republic.
Written by: riosm, 3 Jul 2014 4:22 PM
Ricardolito

well said.
Written by: Ricardolito, 3 Jul 2014 5:37 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Zona Colonial
jaws 1 That is the way the law works here , There is much repsonsibility placed on the victim to take legal action against the offender,,If the victim or the family of the victim or the victim do not proceed then the accused is normally set free
In my first case of my home being burgled I was given less than 24 hours to be at the Zona Colonial police staion or the burgler would be set free . I and not the police had to appear in court and I truthfully said that I had not the slightest idea if the man robbed my house or not as I had not been there ,,Only the police told me the man was guilty ...I later found out that the police were working with another thief ,,and that is why , when I paid 10,000 pesos I got most of the stolen items back
Written by: PuntaCanaMike, 3 Jul 2014 5:42 PM
Make certain to take an HP ink cartridge with you. They NEVER have ink for the printer to give you a copy of the report.
Written by: laman00, 3 Jul 2014 10:04 PM
From: United States, Los Angeles CA
Oh well this is how things done in this country, and dont think for a minute that it will change soon or ever, it used to be very awkward for me at first then not that i got used to it i ignore it, a good rule of thumb when your living here stay away from problems ,politics, choose your friends if you can, dont trust just anyone, keep your head low , live a low profile life, just go on with your own bussines
Written by: Ricardolito, 4 Jul 2014 9:21 AM
From: Dominican Republic, Zona Colonial
In that case I am a definite target because everyone in my small area of Zona Colonial knows me and I chat with everyone .and worse still I have wonderful debates in two or three local colmados .I was thinking of using a tanning lotion