Fernando Bermudez. Photo elnuevodiario.com.do

New York.- Fernando Bermudez, who spent 18 years in a state jail convicted of murder in Manhattan Criminal Court in 1992, agreed to receive US$7.0 million as redress for time spent in prison, after a lawsuit he filed in federal court in 2011, and was acquitted in 2009.

The prosecution's five alleged "star witnesses," some with lengthy criminal records convicted Bermudez, but committed perjury.

The victim, Raymond Blount, was shot and killed in front of the historic Palladium nightclub on August 4, 1991. Bermudez formed part of the group where the shooter was.

The jury found him guilty of second degree murder in 1992, when the Dominican-born Bermudez was just 22.

The "witnesses" who implicated him subsequently recanted their testimony in 1993, and said the police had pressed them to identify Bermudez as the alleged shooter who killed the teenager.

COMMENTS
Written by: lsantiago77, 15 Feb 2017 10:28 AM
this is why when you make putting people in jail a career and a business, you end up destroying innocent lives

am sure prosecutors get a bonus based on how many people they put in jail, and this is because most jails are corporations run by greed.
Written by: Ricardolito, 15 Feb 2017 2:37 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Zona Colonial
The jury system makes very few errors but so much relies on a good defence lawyer to break down the prosecution and the police lies . They may not get a bonus for each conviction but it helps their careers .
Written by: guillermone, 15 Feb 2017 5:15 PM

The jury system makes very few errors but so much relies on a good defence lawyer to break down the prosecution and the police lies. They may not get a bonus for each conviction but it helps their careers-Ricardolito
--------
I wish it was were that simple, hiring the best lawyer. It takes a combination of two factors, a good lawyer and plenty of cash. You can hire the greatest attorney in the world, but if you can't afford it, there is no incentive to fight a ferocious battle. They will just go through the motions as if he were a public defender. In fact on occasions, I have more faith in many publicly appointed attorneys. Those guys don't do it for the money, but for the principle.

My cousin got into trouble once and hired the best defense attorney money could buy, but could not afford him, yet the attorney surprisingly for a fraction took on the case anyway, but assigned it to someone else. He sent in his place another inexperience, poorly trained attorney and it was disaste
Written by: danny00, 15 Feb 2017 10:24 PM
From: United States, Rhodes scholar oxford university
GUILLERMONE, your cousin got into once? u and I both know it was way more then 'ONCE'......the system works fine. how many times u got caught shoplifting? so many times and u always used a public defender. U had 17 arrest and only spent 56 days at rikers island. they was nice to u and put u in the same cell with your once caught cousin. I think you're upset because they also had 7 Haitians in the same cell u was in. it must have been cozy in that 9 by 12 cell. anyway please don't be saturnine when posting my friend.
Written by: danny00, 15 Feb 2017 10:30 PM
From: United States, Rhodes scholar oxford university
SATURNINE. for those that know. et––gloomy, mean, scowling.
Written by: danny00, 15 Feb 2017 10:35 PM
From: United States, Rhodes scholar oxford university
HE WAS PART OF THE GROUP? group my a**!he part of a GANG. and he was and is guilty. JUST LIKE guillermone and his cousin.
Written by: danny00, 15 Feb 2017 10:38 PM
From: United States, Rhodes scholar oxford university
U and your cousin should stop looking 4 attorneys who advertise at bus stops.
Written by: guillermone, 16 Feb 2017 12:26 AM

Dummy00-You are back to what you know how to do best, be and act like a total idiot that you are.
Written by: danny00, 16 Feb 2017 5:15 AM
From: United States, Rhodes scholar oxford university
at least I'm not boring.
Written by: danny00, 16 Feb 2017 8:35 AM
From: United States, Rhodes scholar oxford university
what I do best is speak the truth.
Written by: guillermone, 16 Feb 2017 11:33 AM

Written by: danny00, 16 Feb 2017 8:35 AM
From: United States, Berlin Germany

what I do best is speak the truth.
-------------------------------------------
You can do the same and attempt to "speak truth" without looking like a buffoon.
Written by: chillinout, 16 Feb 2017 12:58 PM
How many freed from death row thanks to DNA? Plenty.
Written by: danny00, 16 Feb 2017 1:07 PM
From: United States, Rhodes scholar oxford university
take it easy my friend. I know older people like u r grumpy
Written by: guillermone, 17 Feb 2017 10:32 AM

Written by: danny00, 16 Feb 2017 1:07 PM
From: United States, Berlin Germany
take it easy my friend. I know older people like u r grumpy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dummy00, in case you did not know, I have a job. For your information I work for a living and also a side business as well as a side girl friend. Believe me I keep myself busy. I have plenty of energy and still have many years to go. There is no plans or intention of retirement anytime soon, unless of course I hit lotto, get an inheritance or make a business deal that will let me sit pretty for the rest of my life.

And by the way, exactly how old are you anyway? You keep calling everybody else old except yourself. If there is anyone here who sounds like an old fart it you with your corny jokes and sarcasm. You are not funny at all.......Don't ever consider a career as a comedian you will starve. Believe me when I tell you.
Written by: DRmaker, 18 Feb 2017 6:02 AM
From: Canada, North Coast DR
Guillermone says:

"And by the way, exactly how old are you (danny00) anyway? You keep calling everybody else old except yourself. If there is anyone here who sounds like an old fart it you with your corny jokes and sarcasm. You are not funny at all..."

About 3 years ago danny00 said in a post "I am 38 years old and still taking courses". I don't know if you remember that post but Josean replied to it saying "you should get a refund for your brain because you learned sh!t" or something to that affect, lol.

Anyway, danny00 claimed he was 38 years old at the time, and he also said he had a daughter that was about to graduate from medical school in the DR to become a doctor. So let's say a doctor graduates at the age of 26 at the earliest.

So do the math, if danny00's daughter is 26 and danny is 38 then he would have had his daughter when he was 12 years old.

It is possible I guess, but more than likely he is full of sh!t. Danny is probably about 60 years old.