Go there, beware...

A LETTER FROM A U.S CITIZEN EXTORTED IN SOSUA

"I have a very bad distaste in my mouth about this country and the city of Sosua. I was involved in a car accident one month ago I did everything I could to help the family and my car insurance was supposed to take care of the injured victims.

Even though it was not my fault I paid for the ambulance to take the victim to Santiago I gave the family gas and food money to go to Santiago and I even went to visit the family in the hospital too see if they needed anything, I felt bad for the family.  When the family found out I was an American citizen then came the extortion.

They refuse to use the insurance to aid their medical needs and are now in the process of trying to extort money out of me in order for me too leave the country.

Now the woman is claiming she has no help and is praying on the media for help. The car insurance was there on day one and this should’ve been over with. Now I am stuck here with no funds.  I wanted to live here and open a business which is the reason why I came now I want to sue this country when I return to the U.S. I lost my job, house and almost everything I own.

There is no justice in this country for American citizens. Most people think we are rich or are here to meet women.  I was here for a change of life.  I’ve been coming here since 2007 and I seen this community change for the worst.

Everyone is for themselves here.  I came to find out I was charged without being charged for a crime when it was the other party’s fault.  They had not back tail lights no license ID or insurance to be on the bike especially at night with no back tail lights.

My passport was taken from me and held for over a week.  My lawyer put a restriction on my passport after I paid him his fee and disappeared.  I am told unless I give up 10,000 I can not leave the country and this was told to me by the district attorney or I have to wait six months.  I no longer have any money and no more resources.  I plan on suing everyone. It is sad because I wanted to live here and enjoy my live now I will never come back here again.  It is crazy I work for the police department in New York I never committed a crime and I was trying to help the local church in Montellnao get bibles.

I wanted to find a way to help the kids on the street get some kind of education because that is the main problem education but  what do you do when the city of Sosua is trying extort money from you.

I am best friends with many of the police offices here and really look out for me and protected me when I was detained.  These guys really work hard protecting this city and deserve pay accordingly."

Thank you for reading this letter.

Sabar

COMMENTS
Written by: dkwannabe, 12 Nov 2013 12:07 PM
I'm sorry but this smells like so much bullshit.

First- Why didn't he call the US Consulate for help? They do help for things like directing you to a lawyer that won't rip you off, and helping you not get extorted by any authorities. The second he was detained was the time to contact the US Consulate.

Second- If he hit a motorcycle from BEHIND, it's HIS fault, period. That's the way the law is and that is too bad. However, the insurance should cover it if it was 3rd PARTY LIABILITY insurance, CDW only covers the car that was driven.

The story is full of holes. I find it hard to believe an NYPD would get so jammed up without seeking help from the US authorities. Then he talks about lost his job his house and everything he owns? Then it's 10k? Which is it?

Sorry buddy, you drive in the most dangerous country in the world for driving, hit someone from BEHIND, cause injuries, what do you expect? I think the same case would have you in a lot of trouble in the US also.
Written by: RobertoJose, 12 Nov 2013 12:37 PM
From: United States, FREEPORT, Long Island.....Don't sing it, just bring it !!!!
Yeah you're right Don King Wannabe , the first thing I would have done was drop a dime to the embassy, he ef'd up on that one but, In the NY you wouldn't have motorcyclist riding without tail lights, blinkers, insurance and helmets or with a cardboard and the plate number written on it. This island would be alot safer if the authorities would do their job and keep these people of the road.

In the states the victim would have been at fault here, because the vehicle would not be worth for the use on public roads and if she hadn't been on the road this would never have happened. So the one that broke the law first was the victim...... But, the government doesn't have the sense or the education to abide by the law itself...

So the next time someone drives at night and are foreigners get into a fender bender, do the same as a dominican when involved in an accident at night, turn your lights off and leave the scene, just don't reverse and finish the job JUST LEAVE.
Written by: dkwannabe, 12 Nov 2013 2:24 PM
@RobertoJose of course you are right that they wouldn't have been on the road in the US- BUT... if you hit someone from behind resulting in injuries, even if you aren't at fault in the US, you're still not gonna walk away without some hassles.

We also both failed to mention that an accident like that at night in the DR can get you killed by the locals if you stop to help your 'victim'.

Pretty f*&%ing sad situation here, but there it is.
Written by: TheProdigal, 13 Nov 2013 9:37 AM
Now, I have some questions. If you are American are you not supposed to call the consulate if you are detained? And, I wonder how in the world if you are a foreigner you would not have super adequate insurance! In any country of visitation, there is the reality that the citizens will try to take advantage of an alien, not just in the Dominican Republic. And, if you are a policeman, it would be in my thoughts, I am not saying I know it all, to ensure that a level of understanding concerning vehicle operaton and insurance issues would be requested. I am in no way defending the monstorous treatment. However I think other things may have been in line as well. And, sadly, the very same treatment could have been in the US anywhere below the Mason Dixon line or any rural dictatorchip. I can recall being led into the woods to a shack where the "judge" promptly announced my guilt and levied a hefty fine....my receipt was.......a scribbled note for my CASH on a piece of legal pad...
Written by: jasfalon, 16 Nov 2013 6:47 AM
Welcome to RD! You cannot start a business here, or live here. Simply, you will be robbed, extorted, and possibly killed. Ask about Art Tarlow, who was murdered by one of Leonel's friend.
If you hire a lawyer in RD, you're fukced. They work for themselves, not for you. And any car accident and you're screwed, not your fault, or your fault.
Go to Haiti through Dajabon, and leave that way. I've always had an escape route, because you never know when you'll need it. Dominicans will use a lawyer on you, so that you cannot leave the country.
They didn't help Sunny Blue Sky when the Rupis stole his house and land in The Sewer (Sosua).
I have been involved in RD for over 30 years, and in that time it has become deadly.
I can no longer live in my house, alone, without guards. And I live in a quiet, non-tourist town.
RD is the corrupt, lawless, drug warehouse of the Caribbean. And the more you give, the more It is expected of you to give whatever everybody wants, or CUIDADO.
Written by: jasfalon, 16 Nov 2013 7:21 AM

The Sewer (Sosua) and Cabarete are the extortion capitals of the country because these towns have the "money people."

If you get in an accident in this area, even if it is not your fault, you will be extorted by the family, their lawyer, your lawyer, police, and anyone else who decides to get involved.
And there is NOTHING that you can do about it.
Written by: DRmaker, 17 Nov 2013 12:19 AM
From: Canada, North Coast DR
I've heard of some horror stories of gringos getting into accidents on the North Coast and being extorted for money.

One thing I learned is that if a gringo gets into an accident (even if not his fault), he should just try and settle it on the spot with the other party. Because once the police get involved......fuhhget it.

Always remember the law there is "guilty until proven innocent".

I know a gringo who was involved in an accident with a Dominican motoconcho in Sosua.

The gringo was driving on the highway in his car and started to make a right turn when he hit a motoconcho who was trying to overtake him on the right shoulder of the highway.

The motoconcho ended up on top of the gringo's hood. He was banged up a little. Even though it wasn't the gringo's fault the motoconcho wanted money from him. So the gringo offered him 500 pesos and the motoconcho accepted and left the scene.

That gringo was one lucky guy to get out of that so easy.
Written by: DRmaker, 17 Nov 2013 12:23 AM
From: Canada, North Coast DR
And then there is story of the Dominican motoconcho who hit a gringo's parked car on the street.

The motoconcho wanted money from the gringo of the parked car.............claiming that the accident was the fault of the parked car, lol.
Written by: TheProdigal, 17 Nov 2013 7:52 PM
Sad...but I know there is a smidgen of truth to some of these stories. Thats why I hire a Dominican chauffer that is strapped too.
Written by: guillermone, 18 Nov 2013 1:27 AM
American mentality in a third world country does not work here. And the north coast is the last place in the DR to follow rules. You just have to be street smart and out smart those who want to out smart you.

But the DR is still a decent country to live, you just have to learn how things work and become proficient in the rules of the game and you will not have a problem. Going to school cost money and the first lesson was expensive. Just find yourself a cheaper school.

Lesson 1- The first rule is that there are no rules
Lesson 2- Refer to lesson one.
Written by: TheProdigal, 18 Nov 2013 1:59 AM
American mentality works everywhere. Seems DR has picked up on it pretty good! American mentality says to call1-800-IHURTME.....when all else fails....sue...it's a sad state of affairs
Written by: maughaum, 30 Jan 2016 10:41 PM