Electric utility, a dismal failure which erodes competitiveness.

Geneva.-  Chile remains the most competitive country in Latin America, a region which despite progress in that area in recent years, has faced huge challenges, such as a poor infrastructure, a weak education system and little investment in research and development (R + D), EFE reports.

Dominican Republic figures among the four Lat-Am countries which fared worst in the study.

The finding is from the Global Competitiveness Report 2012-2013 released today in Geneva by the World Economic Forum (WEF), which analyzes the situation of 144 countries.

The study by seven economists led by the Spaniard  Xavier Sala of Columbia University (U.S.) measures the competitiveness of countries according to a scale and detects the obstacles which are hampring them in that area.

Switzerland heads the list once again, followed by Singapore, Finland, Sweden, Holland, Germany, the U.S., Britain, Hong Kong and Japan.

"Although macroeconomic conditions and access to finance have deteriorated significantly, labor and financial system reform has been applied, which will help improve the situation in the medium term," WEF economist Beñat Bilbao told Efe.

Ranked 39th was Chile, the first Latin American country on the list, followed by Panama (40), Brazil (48), Mexico (53), Costa Rica (57), Peru (61), Colombia (69) Uruguay (74), Ecuador (86), Honduras (90), Argentina (94), El Salvador (101), Bolivia (104), Dominican Republic (105), Nicaragua (108), Paraguay (116), and Venezuela (126 ).

COMMENTS
Written by: anthonyC, 5 Sep 2012 10:48 AM

Another in depth report for the National Institute of Stuff We Already Know!

But the D.R. is less competitive than Bolivia?

BWhahahahahahaha.......You guys are so boned.

Written by: synapse, 5 Sep 2012 10:56 AM

Of course it is, because it is still a Banana Republic that hasn't changed in 200 years.
Written by: dreamkiller, 5 Sep 2012 11:00 AM
From: Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Fighting Joseans lunacy .Stop Guillermo the commie thief in 2016
I am shocked shocked........and color me surprised
Written by: kewrunner, 5 Sep 2012 11:06 AM
Sadly I don't think the shoe shining kids that frequent my condo are prepared for global competitiveness.
Written by: Spimx, 5 Sep 2012 11:35 AM
From: Canada
What? That's not possible, we have been in a metro of succes and development for the last 8 years...

Those numbers are wrong!!!
Written by: RobertoJose, 5 Sep 2012 11:41 AM
From: United States, FREEPORT, Long Island......blues, stripe bass and now doormats
You tell'em ssSpinx...... Leo didn't do all that traveling for nuttin !!!! He was making sure the dominican republic creates wave in its wake.....
Written by: dreamkiller, 5 Sep 2012 11:41 AM
Sorry Spinksy you are going to have to explain again to the Canuckers what the third world is all about...have you got your galoshes and ice scraper ,snow shovel etc ready for the freeze out in Toronto
Written by: Spimx, 5 Sep 2012 12:52 PM
From: Canada
Yea is all ready to go, even the salt is on stock thanks for askin....
A third world doesn't mean to be be one I the least countries, specially with a president that all he did was traveling, spending the tax payers money, and wasting money in projects that doesn't give anything back to the country, but I forgot you one of those stupid blinded morons that approved his wasting habits.. My apologies
Written by: dreamkiller, 5 Sep 2012 1:03 PM
Spinksy you probably support those goobers in the NDP and their wacko ideas
Written by: Spimx, 5 Sep 2012 1:08 PM
From: Canada
If is of your interest I go for the liberals, not that is of your concern. Nonetheless, they could run a country 1000x better than your beautiful Lie-onel
Written by: dreamkiller, 5 Sep 2012 1:09 PM
josean is absent he has an appointment with his dominatrix this after noon
Written by: juanb, 5 Sep 2012 2:48 PM

Where are the PLD jerks now?

I'm talking about the idiots praising LF for all the great things he did for us.

For example: Quality of primary education 143
Diversion of public funds 144
Quality of math and science education 137

Those of you PLD members who can read should take a look at what all our leaders, including the worst president of any country ever, Mejia, have done for us.
Written by: IloveDR, 5 Sep 2012 5:55 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo
This is a load of crap
Written by: danny00, 5 Sep 2012 9:01 PM
From: United States, JPMORGAN INC. STOCK BROKER HO HO HO
with the well educated work force we have in the dr?

make more choo choo trains, then things will get better for all.
make more blue malls and things will get better but please dont build schools so the young can get a education that is the wrong thing to do. dumb and getting dumber by the day.
choo choo train.
all abaord.
Written by: ingle23 This user is banned, 5 Sep 2012 9:37 PM
From: United States, brooklyn, NY
However, we have more "expensive/ luxurious"" 4X4s, than most countries in LA (facts). jajajajajaj.......
Written by: anthonyC, 6 Sep 2012 12:44 AM
Danny,

Do you think that the metro has anything negative to do with economic competitiveness? If anything it is a positive,

INFRASTRUCTURE!!!
Written by: Spimx, 6 Sep 2012 10:13 AM
From: Canada
At the wrong time. That money could of been use for something more need it...

A metro doesn't make the country developed; education, public safety, health, more jobs can help on that
Written by: LuisMiAM, 6 Sep 2012 1:08 PM
One of the problems with competitiveness is that DR makes it very hard for ex nationals to return, unless your come here just to retire.For example:I started my own company after working 20+ years in the tech & computer field, and recently I looked into returning to the DR I don't have much money since I spent most of it putting my kids through college still I would like to bring my skills to the DR and give back to this wonderful country,but to my dismay all my skills are useless - unless I can get a referral letter for my ex employers! Imagine that! I have to go back to GTE, or ATT and request a letter of recommendation in order to work at CODETEL! I was the guy who helped write their configuration script and I debugged their IBM 400 MVS and JCL code, but I need to go back with my tail between my legs and ask the company that laid me off if they would have the decency to give me a recommendation letter! Hay wake-up DR American companies are not known for their human decency! Yet I
Written by: ChicharronyPresidente, 6 Sep 2012 6:57 PM
From: United States, Abajo la Robolucion
"Another in depth report for the National Institute of Stuff We Already Know!" Indeed Mr. Anthony. You hit it right on the head. We all knew that. They could have saved the money and just come here to find out the truth. I recently came back from Santo Domingo. The money that has been spent on the metro has done very little to easy the traffic woes of the capital. The DR still has the same problem. They spend money to modernize and the streets are full of pot holes, street lights are out in many sections, and the most troublesome for me, the street signs. The signs are in very bad shape, small, unlit, the letters are peeling off on many of them, one can't hardly read them in daylight, let alone at night. And parking? Oh my God!!! I will never again go to Zona Colonial at night. The parking there sucks. What a shame.
Written by: Spimx, 6 Sep 2012 10:37 PM
From: Canada
That's no possible, are you telling me that Lie-onel and the PLD have done nothing for the country?? I don't believe you, we are pass that.. The metro is the best thin that had happened to the country after Lie-onel
Written by: calvoleon, 7 Sep 2012 1:12 PM
Everything will go better now! Billions of pesos for small entrepreneurs to get cheap money for investments. And the winners: Presidente, Brugal ...
Written by: airgordo, 9 Sep 2012 4:36 PM
THIS is just living PROOF of what the Moron that was president here DID to this country where we have close to a MILLION people that can't write and read, THAT is BASIC thing that after 12 years this Clown called leonel DID NOT SOLVE, Bolivia did it on 2 years!!

And for all who dare to write the same bullsh!t here prasing the stupid good for nothing Metro Build for a tiny MICRO segment of people at the expense of the EDUCATION of an entire nation , please write here WHY does the metro needs a police on every wagon!!
Written by: calvoleon, 10 Sep 2012 2:50 PM
Policemen are just for decoration! Because when you need them, they do nothing. When they stop you, it's to beg for a few pesos. And in tourist places they drive around to scare the tourists. Who wants to make holidays in a place where there are more policemen on the streets than girls?
Written by: dreamkiller, 10 Sep 2012 6:03 PM
We need Dunkin Donuts to keep them occupied
Written by: jasfalon, 11 Oct 2012 7:05 AM
'One of the times' that my daughter was robbed in RD the police started to yell at her and threatened to put her in jail, when she reported the robbery. The police had already been compensated by the robbers, and were protecting them. This is how it goes in RD, all of the time. I don't know how many times I've been stopped by police, and threatened with arrest, for nothing. Immediate money is always what they want. The police are frightening in RD. Stay far away from them. Also all lawyers are frightening criminals. Stay FAR away from them, or you're in deep trouble. They sell you out, even if YOU hire them. It's sad what has happened to this beautiful country of beautiful people. The RD 'elite,' and ex-patriates developers, have stolen the country from it's people, and are destroying it.
Where are Dominican revolutionaries? Are there any more Mirabels or Manolos, or Juan Boschs?
We need a revolution NOW.
Written by: ChicharronyPresidente, 12 Oct 2012 5:07 PM
From: United States, Abajo la Robolucion
Where are the revolutionaries? I tell you, robbing in the streets. Taking bribes. Shooting out street lights, breaking electric and telephone cables, all in the name of blaming the government in power. That's who these revolutionaries are; the political left, they create havoc in society in order to provoke the same sentiment most people here express without a second thought; blame the government. No, I'm not saying the DR government are a bunch of angels, but they are not the devils most people here automatically think of when the lights go out. These are the same people who are in power in Cuba, Nicaragua and Venezuela. Is a commie text book example. Once the Communist party is in power, all crime stops, Is like magic. Of course everyone rejoices that the commies are real good at fighting crime, of course it stops; the criminals and their henchmen are in power now and no longer committing crimes. Next election in DR? Medina against Communist party candidate.
Written by: airgordo, 12 Oct 2012 9:29 PM
HAHAHA that is just ridiculous, there is NO such a thing as Left on Dominican Republic, get the ELECTIONS numbers over the last 20 years and READ them, perhaps you can point what % have the left as you call it gotten
Written by: ChicharronyPresidente, 15 Oct 2012 1:06 AM
From: United States, Abajo la Robolucion
Hummmmmmmmmm. That sounds familiar, I think my parents heard that in Cuba and many Nicaraguans heard that in their own country too, and yes, Venezuela? Yes i definitely heard it from Venezuelans with my own two ears, Yes I did. But, maybe i should just go on with my life and not worry. Heck. Am a worrier. What's that sound in my back yard! Oh, yeah is not a thieve is probably a cat, we never have thieves around here. This is a low crime area. Heck, me worrying again. Stupid cat.
Written by: ChicharronyPresidente, 15 Oct 2012 1:23 AM
From: United States, Abajo la Robolucion
Is not a Communist, that's old and too blunt and in your face. And besides the cold war is over. Let me see. Is Medina against, a candidate who is going to give free education, free medical care, and eliminate crime, one who will impose the death penalty for murderers of women, one who will approve abortions because they are needed sometimes, aren't they? And also people make mistakes and need a second chance. It only makes sense. One who will raise the minimum wage or create one, one who will provide water on a daily basis and electricity because is a need for the people. Who will make things better by controlling the rich and imposing price freezes on food and gas. One who will control the cost of rent to make it better for all to have a decent home to live in. One who will pay better wages to police officers and the military so they can be compensated for their hard work and not have to take bribes. Put your mark here, I will fix everything. Airgordo is the first in line.
Written by: airgordo, 16 Oct 2012 7:12 PM

Written by: ChicharronyPresidente, 15 Oct 2012 1:06 AM
From: United States, Abajo la Robolucion
---

THIS is NOT nicaragua, Cuba Or Venezuela THIS IS DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, what % did the "Left" get on the past elections? the answer to that is the end of this subject.
Written by: ChicharronyPresidente, 17 Oct 2012 8:22 PM
From: United States, Abajo la Robolucion
Ahhhhh. yes.... I heard that one too! This is Venezuela is not Cuba, this is Nicaragua is not Cuba. Ja.