Santo Domingo.- Passports Agency director Iris Guaba today said the country will implement an e-passport that she affirms will take Dominican Republic to global standards by next year.

"When Dominicans arrive with an e-passport to an international border, they’ll receive a quite different treatment, with the use of a paper with the highest security level," the official said.

Guaba, speaking n a mass at La Paz Church to mark Passports’ 44th anniversary, said the mechanism will mean that any official will be assured that those who carry the document is the owner.

She admitted however that the process involves support from other agencies which might not count with the technological platform required to start the process, and cited the Immigration Agency, General, who’s working on the issue.”

COMMENTS
Written by: danny00, 10 Mar 2014 1:34 PM
From: United States, Acropolis 123 santo DOMINGO
global standards by next year......... OK! MOST OTHER COUNTRIES HAVE ELEC. FOR THEIR PEOPLE. WHY DONT U GET THIS UP TO PAR.

Written by: Johny, 10 Mar 2014 1:51 PM
From: Dominican Republic, United States, European Union - Traveler - all around the world (50+ countries)
Good news. I am glad to hear that. Thanks!
Written by: johnny, 10 Mar 2014 2:17 PM
From: Canada
This is a good thing.
Written by: blue105, 10 Mar 2014 2:42 PM
duh you dumby they're going to, Danny is retarded its shamefully , i wonder where is he going to be next socal or any other wealthy us community?
Written by: Danilo, 10 Mar 2014 3:16 PM
From: Dominican Republic, SDQ --- VIGILADOR.COM (Beta) - Vigilando nuestra Quisqueya
DannyGuebo,
Go shove your electronic passport up your ass!
Written by: BASTA, 10 Mar 2014 3:59 PM
From: Dominican Republic, =Ghetto/Legalize Drugs/Free abortions for all Never Confuse Education with Intelligence
DONT U GET THIS UP TO PAR.== Because xQueens husband stole all the monies. Where do you think she got 70 million from.
Written by: bernies, 10 Mar 2014 4:37 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Juan Dolio
BASTA be careful with what you say about our vice-president. You could be incarcerated for defamation which is what you are doing here. All you PRD and Guillermo Moreno follower have so much hate inside of you that if someone pinch you with a needle you will spill acid from your veins. And that my friend is a fact.
Written by: DaveB, 10 Mar 2014 5:37 PM
This is the first time that I've heard of an epassport. I've made at least 15 international flights in the last 4 years and there's no way in hell I would trust something like this. " Electronic" means easy to steal and certain to fail. Nobody's ever going to force me to give up the paper document or stop paying with cash, wherever possible. This is a stupid idea, especially saying that it is more secure. US airlines can't even recognize an e-ticket or boarding pass on a smartphone screen.
Written by: Ricardolito, 10 Mar 2014 6:08 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Zona Colonial
Can someone tell me what is happening with the new style cedula that was going to be issued to everyone from !st March ..I was advised to wait until April to change my cedula , after all the lines in the offices were less ,,but to date there seems to be no change ..
Written by: Vivacuba, 11 Mar 2014 6:22 AM
This is a BAD BAD thing. Criminals in Washington and Lyon will know your every move. RFID, sniff sniff. Chip in your neck.
Written by: Radar, 11 Mar 2014 1:37 PM

I renewed my passport about 5 months ago and cost me dearly in terms of money, time, and the BS they put me through. Had to visit several govt agencies and wait hours and put up with rude people who'd tell me crap that wasn't true, not to mention the crowds in these places.
The same with my cedula.
I wonder if the change to a new one is mandatory. Oh, boy.!
Written by: Vivacuba, 13 Mar 2014 5:03 PM
Radar, this should be a simple process to RENEW. What exactly happened??