Dominicans in the 'uno mas uno' (one plus one) campaign. Photo elnuevodiario.com.do

NEW YORK.- Dominican residents in the United States launched a nationwide campaign to be included in the 2010 Census, under the auspices of the Dominican Round Table in which several organizations, elected and government officials take part.

The campaign was announced in a gathering in the Bronx’s San Nicolas Tolentino church, in which City Council and State Assembly members spoke about the initiative.

The strategy seeks to prevent what took place in 2000, when Dominican residents in the U.S. were excluded from the boxes regarding ethnicity of that country’s census. If excluded, Dominican community organizations wouldn’t receive the funds necessary to sustain their social programs.

The campaign “One plus One” also includes Puerto Rico, where several hundred thousand Dominican nationals also reside and demands that the Federal Census Bureau include a box specifying the word “Dominican,” which didn’t figure in the previous census.

COMMENTS
Written by: BASTA, 2 Jun 2009 4:53 PM
From: Dominican Republic, =Ghetto/Legalize Drugs/Free abortions for all Never Confuse Education with Intelligence
No way. Come back home or be still which is impossibe for my people. I want; I want= more,more!
Written by: DominicanForWhiteWomen This user is banned, 2 Jun 2009 7:32 PM
I agree with this we deserve to be represented and I don't want to be lumped with Puerto Ricans, Cubans or Mexicans.
Written by: ladronaso, 2 Jun 2009 9:06 PM
It's no wonder we as Dominicans dont progress. What are these stupid idiots wasting time with something so insignificant. Why not invest energies time and money on more meaningful endeavors. You want to be represented? if you want to be heard be counted be a significant element of the Hispanic demographic, then idiots go to school universities get MBA, JD invest in education and self improvements and broaden your political and intellectual sphere so will be heard when you speak. This sounds more like a segue for future handouts.
Written by: Manhattanite, 2 Jun 2009 11:07 PM
ts I think you are confused, this isn't about transnational citizenship but about US census data. However I commend that instead of slinging slime you are asking questions about something you don't get. We can discuss it when that issue comes up again.

D for WW just to clarify the Cubans, Puerto Ricans and Mexicans are not lumped in with us ... they already have their on checkboxes as they are such huge groups. We are being lumped in with smaller Hispanic groups, though I believe we are already more numerous by far than whoever is behind us.

This is not a huge deal, but accuracy in statistics is worth something to state and city planners. We cannot wield influence properly and measure our contribution if we don't have accurate counts of our numbers and our spread across the cities of US.

Written by: Manhattanite, 2 Jun 2009 11:11 PM
As for hurling insults at these people, disappointing but typical low level venom. All it takes is a google search and you can learn who makes up this org and their accomplishments instead of resorting to the usual forum tactics of questioning education levels. Accurate statistics do not hurt anybody and help all involved in state and city planning. Also in a functioning democratic republic the squeaky wheel gets the grease as they say. Why be so resentful of Dominicans protecting their interests stateside? This is EXACTLY how smart and organized people invest their political energy and participate in a real republic. Sure beats senseless PLD/PRD rallies! Perhaps the reason Dominicans back home don't progress is because they rather be cynics and tear down their own instead of draw lessons from those slowly but surely showing political success ... in the heart of the greatest, toughest republic of all at that.

For those too dumb to use Google:
Written by: anthonyC, 3 Jun 2009 12:09 AM
DominicanForWhiteWomen, 2 Jun 2009 7:32 PM

Don't worry. Nobody will.

Of course any question regarding race on the US census form is just another case of left-wing, fascist racism.
Written by: Manhattanite, 3 Jun 2009 12:32 AM
anthonyC all these categories pertain to national origin.
Written by: ladronaso, 3 Jun 2009 7:52 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if these individuals are associated with the movement for promoting a Congressional seat in the Dominican congress. Smells like a front and a opportunistic strategy by a selected few to double dip and expand the reins of influence and power.
Written by: Bailarin This user is banned, 3 Jun 2009 7:58 AM
D.rWw , are you implying that Dominicans are better than your Latino counter parts ? How true that Dominicans are thier own worst enemys and crap like this only further encourages the negative criticisms and ethnic tags that already are being hurled at them from all sections of the bleechers. Its crazy man , the fascination that so many Dominicanos have with the concept of ''Americano''..As if we all walked on water and God passed them by .. Texas Hoe, Its all about touting a proud title and little or nothing to do with citizenship . Many Dominicans are ashamed of thier heritage and just the mere though of being ''lumped in'' with true Americans is a badge of honor and the achievment of a lifetime , even if thier name never officially makes it on paper or a voters card. This is not a joke . I worked with an old Dominican guy in Miami who thought he could speak English . To quote him verbatim, he would say proudly ''I DONT SPEAK ENGLISH, I speak AMERICAN..
Written by: JEM237, 3 Jun 2009 8:38 AM
Bailarin:

I don't see where DforWW implies that he is better than his fellow Latino counterparts just because he said that we deserve to be represented and doesn't want to be lumped with the nationalites he mentioned simply because he is not one of them. Dominicans are the 4th largest Hispanic group in the U.S. and the 2nd largest group in the Northeast, I think it's time we are represented. Would you say the same if someone from one of the other hispanic groups said the same about not wanting to be lumped with a hispanic nationality that they don't belong to? Do you think that Salvadorians, Guatemalans, and other Central Americans want to be lumped under Mexicans? They sure as hell don't! Do you think that Colombians & Venezuelans want to be lumped under Puerto Rican, Cuban, or Mexican also? Not! I think As far as that Dominican guy in Miami that made that comment, yes, that is sad but that is an isolated case and not the way of thinking of most Dominicans.
Written by: JEM237, 3 Jun 2009 8:40 AM
Manhattanite:

BRAVO!!! Thanks for your comments, thank goodness that there are people like you on this website!!!
Written by: Bailarin This user is banned, 3 Jun 2009 9:07 AM
As a Dominican resident living in the D.R, i can attest to the fact . American idol is not isolated fasination . Columbianos and most all South American countries think they fart gold dust and rose pedals and to lump them with a Dominican would be as much of a slap in the face as it would be to mistake a dark Dominican for a Haitian..White Americans dont want to be associated with the blacks or latinos because they think they are superior and deserving of more rights.. The Rev .Al will be taking the podium in 5 minutes . Please stand by.
Written by: Manhattanite, 3 Jun 2009 9:30 AM
JEM thanks so much for the recognition. I feel like I'm crazy for taking pride in Dominicans participating in representative democracy and American civics.

Again anyone can go to that organization's website and check their board of directors, the list of associated orgs and boards, and their list of elected officials to see the qualifications of these people Further you can read a full article there on this issue and not rely only on short DT.com stub or worse the unrefined cynicism of ts membership for information. Then you can choose to disagree with accuracy in statistics and demographics if you remain unconvinced!
Written by: xwill7, 3 Jun 2009 9:57 AM
From: United States, El cuarto bate
I think that this will help Dominicans get gov funds and help the poor Dominican communities. I also think that Dominicans want this for their ego...

Bailarin,
You say that many Dominicans a ashamed of their heritage??? I think that Dominicans are the most proud...

In USA don't you see how many cars have a little Dominican flag hanging on the rear view mirror? Don't you hear thousands of cars blasting some bachata, merengue or tipico?

In many major league parks, when a Dominican player hits a home run... Don't you see the Dominican fan pull out the huge Dominican flag and wave it in front of thousands of Americans?
Written by: DominicanForWhiteWomen This user is banned, 3 Jun 2009 10:07 AM
Thank you Jem and xwill7 I agree with you both.
Written by: ladronaso, 3 Jun 2009 10:09 AM
Qualifications are irrelevant and meaningless if they aren't coupled with the right motivations, experience and intentions. Has anyone vetted these individuals to determine whether their beginnings are from humbled or privileged ones? To learn what connections they have with influential people here and on the Island? Or is it that you have a vested, personal and professional interest in furthering these goals? ....
Written by: ladronaso, 3 Jun 2009 10:11 AM

Furthermore I tell you now Manny unknowing to most of your bleacher fans, you are too quick to judge, perhaps it's because in the manner that you articulate your judgmental innuendos. I'll also say this, Don't you freaken think for one second of your life that I am not proud of my heritage and of being Dominican. When you were just a little crumb-snatcher in your baby seat uttering unintelligible words, I had already traveled half way around the world experienced more meaningful events in four years of my life than perhaps what you will your entire life. I have had my share of running with Dominicans from all walks of life, so my cynicism and lack of trust has been qualified. Your naivete is your biggest enemy and weakness.
Written by: ladronaso, 3 Jun 2009 10:21 AM
REF:: Bailarin, 3 Jun 2009 7:58 AM
....... Many Dominicans are ashamed of thier heritage and just the mere though of being ''lumped in'' with true Americans is a badge of honor and the achievment of a lifetime
=================
Most Dominicans by most accounts are very proud of being Dominica. This is true for those Dominicans who are biracial or multi ethnic and those who are Dominican and have never been to DR. Now, if you said this about Cubans or other groups then yes, I know and experienced too many Cubans who are quick to say "No I am American". Truthfully have never met a Dominican to say or deny his Dominican heritage.
Written by: Manhattanite, 3 Jun 2009 10:26 AM
ladronaso call them innuendoes if you want. Typically I try to be respectful of your negativity as I know there is no shortage of bad news to go around politically. In this case though you are asking who vetted these people, but clearly you did not before you passed judgment. You spouted off about their alleged ignorance, and lack of JDs and MBAs. However despite their disorganized website it took me just minutes to find lists of their board of directors and associated individuals, many possessing these qualifications and more, and a broad spectrum of professional organizations allied with them. So ladronaso you are free to disagree with their agenda for the US Census, or for expatriate rpresentation ... but don't wave your flag of pride when I just saw that your gut reaction to Dominicans actings as democratic citizens was to assume they are rabble.
Written by: lovingit, 3 Jun 2009 10:53 AM
From: United States, Delaware
texasshoe,

I personally disagree with the term "hispanic"... yes it was coined by "hispanos" which were Spanish/Mexican populations that defaulted into US territory with manifest destiny, but I am sure you being from Texas,know about that. I prefer the term Latin American, and Latin Americans, like North Americans, could be of any race, white, black, asian, native, etc. Latin Americans decend from many countries, mianly Spanish, but there are still large, vast numbers of Portuguese, Italians, Polish, Germans, Hungarians, Arabic, African Continent, China, Japan, etc.

So what is the difference between a German-American and German-Argentinians or German-Dominicans that now lives in the US? The last two have to fill in "hispanic" on their paperwork while the other does not, although they both come from the same background. The US cencus now appends "race" to "hispanic", better than being put in a lump, but still far form generalization.

cont..........
Written by: lovingit, 3 Jun 2009 10:53 AM
From: United States, Delaware
........... cont

We don't label ourselves as "hispanic" on our home countries
We are Latin Americans, but on our countrie's cencus we are simply white, black, native, mulatto, mestizos, asian, etc.
I say do away with the "hispanic" term
Written by: ladronaso, 3 Jun 2009 11:05 AM
Perhaps my statement stupid and idiots was a little harsh and was not merited, in addition they did not convey my true thought and Idea regarding the the entire article. I'm not going to elaborate because its meaningless and will accomplish nothing. Long ago you have made your conclusions of who I am, how I think , and the reasons for which I think so cynically. But you have only demonstrated that the breadth of your understanding of human psychology and behavior is far narrower than your literary and intellectual skills and accomplishments.

Second when it comes to Dominicans involvement in Politics, I prefer to take the safe road, and treat them all with a slant eye. Treat them all guilty until proven innocent.

Lastly you are free to judge my pride and heritage. As you have already taken the liberty to do so. but unlike you manny I would prefer to carry a flag than to write poetry about it.
Written by: anthonyC, 3 Jun 2009 11:22 AM
Why do they need to ask those questions?

For Racial Quotas and Gerrymandering that is why.

Abolish Government institutional Racism!!!
Written by: Manhattanite, 3 Jun 2009 11:26 AM
And I am NO poet I assure you of that :P
Written by: Manhattanite, 3 Jun 2009 11:26 AM
ladronaso this isn't the first time you claim I have entrenched conclusions about you. As I said last time, I take you on a thread-by-thread basis. My main idea of you is that you are an active member who posts on relevant issues, and I'm glad to have you. Yes I presume you are a cynic, as that is what you have shown to my eyes in convos you participate. In this case you can hardly blame me for targeting your intense venom at these folk ; it was more than a slant eye.

As for my understanding of psych; I write in ways I hope will positively affect opinions of others. I know being cynical is the flavor of our age, but I don't see many examples where this aproach succeeded in motivating progress. So you take your route, I take mine. I'm more than glad to have you call me out whenever I'm too positive by pointing out flaws in what I argue. You are often right, but in this case your darker approach didn't fit available info about these people's levels of attainment.
Written by: , 3 Jun 2009 11:39 AM
From:
X, you havent read correctly ..Did you not see that I wrote ''MANY Dominicans''' Not ALL . PLEASE DONT THROW ME UNDER THE HUMMER like that ..Im am very well aware of true Dominican pride in this country and its great to see. I LOVE America but Im not a proud American and though I cant say I am Dominican ( except in my heart) , I can say I am very proud to live in the Dominican Republic and to let the world know I do. When a Dominican says to me ,'' you no Americano , you Dominicano AS i SO often hear , It is recieved as a compliment and an honor . No, its the American people that embarras me with a valueless culture of ideals that exalts nothing but self intrest , ignorant red-neck univision, and a self deluded air of superiority built on a foundation thats prooving to be no more stable than a house of cards.
Written by: Bailarin This user is banned, 3 Jun 2009 11:42 AM
From your beloved Bailarin ! Posted above..
Written by: xwill7, 3 Jun 2009 11:54 AM
From: United States, El cuarto bate
Bailarin,
Throw you under the Hummer? No, I do not want to be like that NY Mets pitcher
Written by: Bailarin This user is banned, 3 Jun 2009 11:56 AM
or general motors !
Written by: Aissedei, 3 Jun 2009 12:57 PM
From: Puerto Rico, On a rock.. PR
Some people appear to have the idea of Race VS Ethnicity confused. Race = a social construct typically based Genetic, physical, visual traits typical of a group of various groups of people.. Where as ethnicity can be any generic group sharing similar racial, linguistic, cultural, religous backgrounds.. either way, it's all about what race or ethnicity YOU identify yourself as. Being "Dominican" on the other hand is a nationality and doesn't fit under either category. The census is based on the standards within the country and if they decide to start breaking it up by nationality then there's a lot more than 5-7 categories needed. There's no way they're ever going to make everyone happy that's why they have "Other" or a write in space. BTW for individuals that are embarrassed by the American people and their valueless culture etc.. there's a consulate in DR and citizenship can be renounced. (unless you're doing so purely for tax evasion) All explained quite well on State.gov
Written by: Bailarin This user is banned, 3 Jun 2009 1:29 PM
Exactly my point red white and blue BTW.. Another upstanding member of the average'' Bud Light bowl mentality Gringo'' You forgot to explain phenylnutrionics and to tell us that the surgeon general has concluded that smoking may be hazardous to your health.
Written by: ladronaso, 3 Jun 2009 1:36 PM
Again In my statements I did not accurately convey my linearity of thought, Their is no doubt in my mind some of these individuals have parallel ulterior purposes or duplicitous ambitions. I pay little relevance on credential placed on a site. I prefer to look much deeper and broader than what is said or written especially given the history. One can write anything on paper, the proof will be in the pudding. Therefore until the pudding is proofed I will permit my cynicism to govern my views regarding Dominicans in Politics . There's no sense in dragging this on as I see the only thing we can probably ever agree, is to disagree.

FYI a years or so I had bookmaked their page only to remove it several months ago in recent update.
Written by: xwill7, 3 Jun 2009 2:31 PM
From: United States, El cuarto bate
The census should ask... How many Dominicans play the Dominican lottery from the USA? If they knew the real numbers they would stop it in order to have Dominicans play the state lottery.
Written by: Aissedei, 3 Jun 2009 2:48 PM
From: Puerto Rico, On a rock.. PR
Hahah yeah...red white and blue mentality. Since your know nothing of me and my political beliefs, racial mix or anything else, that's entertaining. I may not agree with many things the government does but I don't agree with bashing the poeple from their own country. That's just sad. That's the same as a Dominican going to the U.S. and trying to deny they're from the DR, or pass as white. You may enjoy another culture but everytime you put down people from your own country, remember that includes your own family and friends. Point being.. YOU are acting just like the Americans that you're denouncing by talking s**t abount a complete group of people based on your standards. In fact, apart from stating how much you hate the U.S. culture you sound like every other American Expat that I've ever met that likes to brag about just how integrated they are... yippy.. anyway as I said.. If you don't like being American, you have options. Good luck with that.
Written by: Aissedei, 3 Jun 2009 2:56 PM
From: Puerto Rico, On a rock.. PR
ladronaso

Not sure if you were responding to me or someone else but my only point is that in my personal opinion Dominican is a nationality and really not covered on the census unless you're going to include all nationalities. The Dominican groups deserve their fair share but pushing Dominican as an ethnicity would push every other special interest group to fight for the same consideration. And I agree, I wouldn't completely trust the motives behind any governmental action group, Dominican, American, or otherwise that pushes their personal political agendas.
Written by: devin11, 3 Jun 2009 3:04 PM
From: United States, The Greatest City
I'm a bit confused about how Dominicans would be excluded from the census count under the current census form. The demographical question on the census is written as follows;

Is this person Spanish/Hispanic/Latino? Mark (X) the “No” box if not Spanish/Hispanic/Latino.
[ ] No, not Spanish/Hispanic/Latino
[ ] Yes, Mexican, Mexican Am., Chicano
[ ] Yes, Puerto Rican
[ ] Yes, Cuban
[ ] Yes, other Spanish/Hispanic/Latino — Print group.
________________________________.

The person filing the census form is allowed to write DOMINICAN in the provided fill-in box. How then does this current system prevent Dominicans from being counted and thus exempted from federally funded social program monies? If the issue is that this advocacy group wants inclusion in the printed box categories instead of the written-in categories, they simply say so and not claim that there is a built in mechanism that keeps Dominicans from being counted which is simply not accurate.
Written by: Manhattanite, 3 Jun 2009 3:22 PM
devin I think they are quite clear about their goals on their own site. They claim the Census department itself admitted an undercount of Dominicans. I can imagine that someone filling this out quickly would eyeball the choices and simply move on if they don't like Spanish/Hispanic/Latino, instead of filling out Dominican under other. And given the difficulties we've seen in counting ballots with limited choices it also isn't hard to imagine that human handwriting after other may result in undercounts.

Overall it is not a major issue, but many would agree there is a political value to accurate statistics. NADR have gotten some US Senators behind it, and they are putting their own institutional money and resources where there mouth is by promoting this. This is just one prong of the program which their own literature describes as including promoting the importance of becoming US citizen, importance of being registered voters, and HOW to fill out the census form.
Written by: Bailarin This user is banned, 3 Jun 2009 3:53 PM
Puerto Rico ,that explains it ..Uncle Sam with a tan dancing salsa in the sand ..These are the generic wanna be Americans that drive every one in Miami nuts ....lol ..My standards and words matter little or nothing Asseidi, its Gods standard and word that Im using as a barometer to measure the status quo of American decline . The heart of the American problem is the American heart , not the economy ...And one does not need to travel far in the D.R to find a Dominicano ''wanna be a white American boy '' hangin in a disco tech .
Written by: devin11, 3 Jun 2009 3:58 PM
From: United States, The Greatest City
Manny,
If that's the case then every Latin ethnic group was undercounted because of the same reasons that you suggested. There should then be a pre-printed box made for each and every national group of the entire world for that matter, imagine how much harder the census would be to fill out if that was the case. I'm almost certain that the undercount of Dominicans and other ethnic groups via the written-in box complications pale in comparison to the undercount created by people of those groups not filing a census report at all. That said, any advocacy group that promotes the importance of US citizenship and not only registering to vote but actually voting is indeed doing a great service to it's respresented group. I never understood why it has always been so difficult for some minority groups to grasp the importance of those concepts.
Written by: anthonyC, 3 Jun 2009 4:13 PM
What is the purpose of asking race, ethnicity or nationality for the census?

So Liberals can use it as an excuse to hold you back........and you fools buy into it.

Useful Idiots.
Written by: ladronaso, 3 Jun 2009 4:40 PM
Ref:: devin11, 3 Jun 2009 3:58 PM
....... There should then be a pre-printed box made for each and every national group of the entire world for that matter, imagine how much harder the census would be to fill out if that was the case. I'm almost certain that the undercount of Dominicans and other ethnic groups via the written-in box
=======================
You bring a good point and something I had I failed to mention in first initial discussion. Therefore unless the census worker or/scanner enters Dominica instead of Dominican then I cant see it being a significant issue that should warrant such a debate. It is why I'm lead to believe this is strategy by this group and others to gain some political and social clout with Dominicans abroad in order to push future agendas. To lay the ground work so to speak.
Written by: devin11, 3 Jun 2009 4:41 PM
From: United States, The Greatest City
"The Census Bureau has included a question on race since the first census in 1790. What they fail to mention - very obviously on purpose - is why race data was collected in the first census in 1790 and thereafter. In order to illustrate to you the answer they are purposely avoiding, let's look at the U.S. Constitution as ratified in 1787. Article I, section 2 states, among other things,
Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. Of course, "all other Persons" included mainly slaves. In other words, in order to establish representation in the House of Representatives, free men were counted as one person, and slaves were counted as three fifths of a person!" --- fault the liberals?
Written by: Aissedei, 3 Jun 2009 4:43 PM
From: Puerto Rico, On a rock.. PR
Devin11.. That's the point I was trying to get across earlier. Totally agree with you.

Bailarin
Yet again Bailarin judging people based on very little info, that's a bad habit. Yes I'm in Puerto Rico, and I enjoy the people here just as I've enjoyed the company of people in various other locations around the world while I was there. Try looking for the good in some people/groups instead of going with your small minded sterotypes. As far as gods judgement.. I'm sure he can handle it, maybe you should stop trying to do his job...
Anyway.. I've got other stuff to do and this topic lost it's interest.
Written by: ladronaso, 3 Jun 2009 4:50 PM
Written by: Aissedei, 3 Jun 2009 2:56 PM:
==============
I do believe that Dominicans should be represented in the U.S. I am for it 100%. The question is by who. By Dominican Americans wanting to further the betterment of Dominicans in the U.S. an not by Dominicans with ulterior motives or questionable ties and loyalties. Or those that seek to expand their political influence abroad for their self enrichment..

It is why I said, If we wish to be represented then let do it by positioning educated intelligent, Honest (misnomer) Dominicans in power here in the U.S. that will push our real concerns and not cloaked deception.
Written by: Manhattanite, 3 Jun 2009 4:56 PM
devin and assedei I would say that not every group merits having a box. Some groups are here in much larger, more concentrated, and more significant numbers. Dominicans, per DANR's count, are currently #2 immigrant group, and #3 Latino group ... bigger than some of those with a checkbox currently.

More importantly, some groups are more organized than others. Those that feel being accurately counted does a service to their group and to the American nation at large can ask for consideration of this privilege to further their organization and political weight. Yes it is all politics, and in politics numbers and organization are power. This is how a republic works, influence and organization. And yes I'm sure there are many with an interest in restricting the influence, growth and organization of Dominican-Americans ... though I'm surprised to find them here at DT.com* .

* not surprised @ anthonyC, but his resistance is based on his ideology.
Written by: devin11, 3 Jun 2009 5:15 PM
From: United States, The Greatest City
Manny,
Ours is a minor disagreement based in organizational politics and not any prejudiced or racist hinderance on my part. I don't know what I have written that would make you suggest that I in any way could be interested in restricting the "influence, growth and organization of Dominican-Americans" or Dominicans anywhere. I would hope that you don't consider my opinion on this matter to be in line with the practice of such restriction.
Written by: Manhattanite, 3 Jun 2009 5:27 PM
devin I know you are not being a major obstructionist , and as I said earlier in the thread neither do I feel this is a major issue. Still when one comments to a public forum a con argument to this issue, on some level you are voicing disapproval of '"influence, growth...etc.". But you are very right ultimately this is organizational politics, detail stuff, and for myself I can say I'm not taking criticisms offered by you, ladronaso, or others "to heart". Hell I'm not even a member of this group...it might be interesting to have the input of someone who is.
Written by: Gizmo This user is banned, 4 Jun 2009 10:40 AM
Latino? or Hispanic are demographic blocks for political use, i don't follow the logic behind such construct.
Written by: miloskorac This user is banned, 7 Jun 2009 6:22 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo and Punta Cana
Census should have a category: Dominican Republic, if we count the definition:
"A census is the procedure of systematically acquiring and recording information about the members of a given population. It is a regularly occurring and official count of a particular population."

What is the benefit of it?

Otherwise, serves only for political-budget-reasons...

Que particular puede ser , si no Dominicano?