Jean-Claude Duvalier.

Port-au-Prince.– Former Haitian dictator Jean-Claude Duvalier, who arrived in Haiti after 25 years in exile in France, made his first speech to the "press" yesterday from his home in Montagne noire. He said  it was the devastating earthquake last year that brought him back to Haiti.

We publish the full transcript of this speech.

Dear friends of the press,

Thank you for having responded to my invitation today and I take this opportunity offered to me to speak to my fellow citizens.

Very briefly, I will tell you how much I was impressed by the welcome I have received since the Duvalier International Airport for this visit, especially by this crowd of young people who do not know me.

This gives heart-warming. M di yo mèsi anpil, m'te kontan viv moman sa-a. (I said them thank you very much, I was happy to live this moment)

That said, I know how many of you are curious about the purpose of my return to Port-au-Prince after a quarter century of absence. This question is on everyone's lips.

In fact, I wanted to pay homage to the numerous victims of the devastating earthquake of January 12, 2010 which made, according to official estimates, 316,000 died. Unfortunately, I'm not arrive in time for the commemoration.

Dear compatriots,

I return to show my solidarity in this extremely difficult period of national life where you are still hundreds of thousands living under the stars, amid the ruins. From the moment that I decided to return to Haiti to commemorate with you, in our country, this sad anniversary, I was expecting all sorts of persecution ; but believe me, the desire to participate with you in this Konbit for national reconstruction, far exceeds the annoyances that I could be facing... Whatever the cost, the main thing for me being here with you. And I say that as such, all Haitians of goodwill have the right to participate.

I take this opportunity to publicly present my condolences to my millions of partisans who, after my voluntary departure from Haiti to avoid bloodshed and facilitate the rapid conclusion of the political crisis in 1986 were delivered to themselves. Thousands were brutally murdered, smoky, grilled, who have suffered the torment of "Pè lebrun" word that became sadly notorious, their homes, their goods looted, déchoukés, burned. And all this under the glare of the cameras around the world.

I also take this opportunity to express once more, my deep sadness to my compatriots who recognize, rightly, to have been victims under my Government.

Youth of my country,

During my long stay in France, I was always attentive to your cries and your misfortunes. I lived your difficult times with great sorrow and grief. It is to you future leaders of this country, of assume the succession and show to the world that the Haitian soul is perennial and strong.

And as to parody the Rev. Martin Luther King : "when the bell of national reconciliation can ring in every heart and when we allow it to ring in every hamlet, in every town, in every neighborhood, in every home then we will be able to speed up that day when all the children of Haiti, men and women, old and young, rich and poor, those from the interior and those from the diaspora, can march hand in hand without discrimination and join together in the rebirth of Haiti.".

This is the message of my return.

Vive Haiti! May God bless us!

COMMENTS
Written by: juanb, 22 Jan 2011 11:30 AM

This guy should be holding his press conferences from his jail cell.
Written by: old_school_trinitario, 22 Jan 2011 11:33 AM
From: Dominican Republic, San Carlos, barrio de matatanes, aqui no invente

Baby Doc "daboogieman" Duvalier is back in haiti to get paid and to scare the inept Haitian politicos straight.

maybe we can dig up Balaguer's corpse and parade it around parque Independencia as a show of force
Written by: Eriliza, 22 Jan 2011 11:42 AM
From: United States, Boston, MA
I did not know Duvalier speaks Haitian Creole. Surprising.
Written by: generoso, 22 Jan 2011 11:50 AM
From: Dominican Republic, ****Raise your words, not your voice. Rain grows food, not thunder.****
The dots are joining together by fate or mutual convenience. Sweet Micky (Martelly) , Preval and Baby Doc in an alliance together, as a triumvirate of power.
Hail to the new and designate chief of Haiti, Michel Martelly, backed by both Frapp and Preval.
Written by: martin, 22 Jan 2011 12:02 PM
From: United States, boston to S.P.M 23
Poor haitin the remain of wat the earthquake lieve now goin die RIP haiti wee need send back them in the DR quickly
Written by: gmiller261, 22 Jan 2011 12:17 PM

Oh, crap.
Written by: Atabey, 22 Jan 2011 12:39 PM
From: United States, Bring DT Forum Back--
I bring you Peace and Reconciliation. Duvalier doing his part to earn his coming reward from France and the US. Now let's see if they allow Aristide to travel and offer his own "peace and reconciliation Speech" This poor Opera or Novela is old hat. I just hope that the funds start rolling in and that a marked improvement takes place for many people in Haiti ASAP. That will make both sides of the border happy.
Written by: riosm, 22 Jan 2011 1:06 PM
Prodogy of MLK wheres the NAACP, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and da bunch at ?

Heres what he really meant, speech between the lines.

"During my long vacation in France" ...............living my well deserved rest, relaxation and spending spree I just happened to ran out of money, I'm back.....

See I'm living proof the French still like and care about us.

I promise this time around I'll take only 60% not the usual 90% like in the 80's.

I promise to rule with a smaller stick. See I am a changed man.

I can go on but i won't.

If the Haitian people through desperation want this clown to restore Haiti.....so be it.

At least the next Haitian catastrophy will be Haiitian caused.

There goes my future donations, and for those still willing to donate....please make those checks payable direct to Baby Doc himself.

GOD SAVE HAITI.
Written by: Ricardolito, 22 Jan 2011 1:11 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Zona Colonial
I heard this speech and saw his 50 paid suppoters cheering him on the balcony .,,,there are many rumours that he is dying and looking at the glazed eyes, is this a Haitian characteristic? ,he did not look well .But he is a trouble maker .
A little later ,last night , I saw Archbishop Tutu making a speach at FIFA ..what a contrast
Written by: CarlosFranco, 22 Jan 2011 1:54 PM
From: United States, Brooklyn

Duvalier for Dict.....President, I meant to say

Written by: Yucahu, 22 Jan 2011 3:32 PM
From: United States, Miami
What a beautiful speech, now please give us 5 million dollars bebedoc...
Written by: Antichrist, 22 Jan 2011 4:32 PM
How can anyone with a gun miss that big head....lol
Written by: jarabacoa, 22 Jan 2011 5:08 PM
he looks like a good man now, but again, this is politics! maybe he regrets what he did before... leonel fernandez is not happy having this guy back in haiti- maybe leonel knows why he is back in haiti!
Written by: BernardJeanPierre, 22 Jan 2011 5:48 PM
From: United States, Earth
@jarabacoa - I completely agree. If he had just said, 'yea I'm back to see if I could wiggle my into getting some of that 'aid' money', I would have felt ok about it. But you can't help but to suspect something with that type of posing, political prancing. It all smells fishy to me.
Written by: martin, 22 Jan 2011 5:58 PM
From: United States, boston to S.P.M 23
Money money he a prevar watever the pres name had this plan since the earthquake happen they smell that money from far so for the people of haiti u all salt cause none of u all gettin the aid money straight duvalier packets
Written by: antonioj, 22 Jan 2011 6:26 PM
From: Canada, Ottawa.. Bring the Forum back
Can someone lend me a rifle, your time is up monster click..
Written by: Beau305, 23 Jan 2011 10:06 AM
From: United States, Fort bragg north carolina
He really meant what he said guys! After 207 yrs fighting each other the country doesn't go nowhere now it is time for reconciliation I believe mr Aristide should do the same as well as mr Cedras. Nelson Mandela did it in South Africa we haitians should do the same forget about the pass car nous avons un pais a reconstuir
Written by: riosm, 23 Jan 2011 12:21 PM
Beau305,
Let's leave it up to the Haitians in Haiti to decide on their future, after all it looks like the Haitians only need a massive dose of reality, guidence, teaching self pride, respect, direction, motivation, responsibility, morals, tought to love and care for one another that can only be done with a iron fist DICKtator......see I do understand.

I'll repeat, the next Haitian catastrophy will at least be Haitian / Man made.

Now is the time for all Dominicans to voice there opinions on how to deal with this Haitain problem. After all 1/4 of the Island will always affect the other 3/4's in a good or bad way.

3 Questions:
1.If a Baby Doc type leader does take control of Haiti will this mean all illegal Haitians in the DR will return to Haiti ?
2. Will a perm. border wall be build ?
3. Will the DR Gov. stop donating to Haiti ?
Written by: BernardJeanPierre, 23 Jan 2011 9:43 PM
From: United States, Earth
@riosm - To answer your questions
1) No. He will not take control of Haiti unless the US allows him to do so. And as long as there is extreme poverty in Haiti there will be Haitians trying to the Dominican Republic.
2) Not likely. The issue is not about the Wall, its about Border Guards falling into corruption and LETTING people in.
3) No, because it along with many other Nations are obligated to do so since they have all contributed in one way or another to Haiti's problems.
Written by: Ricardolito, 23 Jan 2011 9:50 PM
From: Dominican Republic, Zona Colonial
leopards do not change their spots
Written by: riosm, 23 Jan 2011 10:28 PM
BernardJeanPierre,
1. What about france ?
The Haitians always had extreme poverty, are you talking about U.S money / aide, more like the situation with Mexico and the U.S illegal problems only U.S citizens are banking [$2,500.00 usd per person] on the human smuggling thing.

2. Arrest, charge and fire all Dominican guards caught.
LOL create a free fire buffer zone on the border it will meet two needs.
a. Helps to improve marksmenship.
b. Cost effect with 100% sucess rate.

3. When the Doc's were in power life was good.....an even price to pay ?
The U.S, DR and the world should cut Haitian Aide a.s.a.p maybe that way Haiti will cease to be the worlds NANNY STATE MENTALITY SYNDROM.

The Haitian Gov. should start taking responsibility for once and stop the finger pointing / playing victim and take charge.

LOL why not just elect Sean Penn for da Prez. and turn the whole Haiti into a camp.
Written by: tartesos, 24 Jan 2011 1:17 AM
coup de etat anyone? if he gets more suporters it could get very ugly for the whole island...

i agre with antichrist on that one

"How can anyone with a gun miss that big head....lol"
Written by: KanpePouAyiti, 24 Jan 2011 2:23 AM
From: Canada, Ottawa
For same people who are suprise to see M. Duvalier speak CREOLE, I can't believe. One Haitian who don't speak Creole is like an American who don't speak English. Creole or "haitian" Creole is the mother tomgue in Haiti that 100% of us speak. About 10% of Haitian speak a sec languagelike French and few speak Spanish. Get to Kow us frensh is not our language is just one of the official lLanguages.

I pray God to help Haiti, I wish that M. Duvalier say the truth who knows, maybe he has same regrets..I wish the best for my country and Island: HISPAGNOLA!!! ALL MY BROTHER & SISTERS DOMINICANS WE NEED YOU, PLEASE PRAY FOR YOUR BROTHERS &SISTERS HAITIANS!! AMIGO FOR HISPAGNOLA ISLAND! ZANMI POU ZILE HISPAGNOLA A!!! LOVE! AN NOU RENMEN!!!