Los Angeles.– Nearly 10,000 people who recently stayed in tent cabins at Yosemite National Park risk having contracted the often fatal hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Saturday.
According to a press report, people who stayed in the tents between June 10 and August 24 may be at risk of developing HPS in the next six weeks.
In the past few hours at least two more cases have been detected of the disease that up to now has taken two lives, raising the number of confirmed infections to six, according to the authorities. Other suspected cases are currently undergoing diagnosis.
The CDC urged anyone in that situation to have medical exams in case they feel symptoms associated with the hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, a fairly rare infection but one that can be fatal. It is spread by rats and mice.